Jan 28, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
Mapping the Chivas USA personnel philosophy will be work in progress, it seems.
Because on the one hand, new manager José Luis Sánchez Solá want to use the club to develop Mexican and Mexican-American talent, an Americanized version of the presiding philosophy that has always ruled Chivas USA’s mother ship, Chivas de Guadalajara.
But yesterday, Sanchez Sola seemed to zig rather than zag, naming American goalkeeper Dan Kennedy as his captain and his starter. We (along with everyone else) had speculated that Kennedy could be the next out of Chivas USA, and that some MLS club could surely grab the Goats steady ‘keeper at a bargain price.
Here’s what Sanchez Sola said over the weekend as Kennedy, nursing a minor hand injury, sat out an early preseason friendly.
At this time, he’s my captain. I need him more than anyone else.”
If today’s game was a league game, he’d be in goal. It was a practice game, so there’s no need to risk it. I decided that he wouldn’t be needed in goal.”
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1