Jan 28, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
We told you earlier about an opportunity in front of D.C. United’s Nick DeLeon, and why the decision was important for the young man’s international exhibitions. He had a chance to play for Trinidad and Tobago’s national team. Still does, in fact.
Courtesy of The Washington Post’s Steven Goff, now we know which way the 22-year-old attacker is leaning for now: He’s not ready to set aside an opportunity to play for the United States, where he grew up.
What he told Goff for this piece in the Soccer Insider blog:
I grew up here and it’s always been my dream to play here. It felt pretty good to get invited, to be honest. It’s a big honor. But I don’t think it’s the right time.”
This does not mean DeLeon is on the fast track for U.S. national team stardom. Far from it.
We don’t know how many stand in his way on the big depth chart of wide and / or attacking midfielders in Jurgen Klinsmann’s head, but we can assume it includes Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Brek Shea, Brad Davis, Sacha Kljestan, Josh Gatt, Alejandro Bedoya, Chris Pontius, Joe Corona, Jose Torres, Mix Diskerud, Benny Feilhaber and probably a couple of others that aren’t coming immediately to mind.
But DeLeon is 22 and talented, so he’s a little more in the game this way than if he had begun leaning toward T&T.
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs