Jan 28, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
We love our up-and-comers in American soccer. We are ever vigilant on the watchtower for our next Landon Donovan, our next Clint Dempsey.
We tend to get a bit frothy when talking about that kid who just went overseas or the youngster tearing up Major League Soccer – and whether he might soon go overseas?
So the weekend’s news on D.C. United attacker Nick DeLeon might cause a slight disturbance in the force around U.S. Soccer supporter-dom. The news is that DeLeon may soon line up for Trinidad and Tobago in a friendly.
DeLeon was raised in Phoenix and went to college at UNLV and at Louisville, so he’s as American as they come. His father, however, is from Trinidad. (In fact, Leroy DeLeon was a Trinidadian international.)
The younger DeLeon was occasionally just a blinding flash down the left side of RFK Stadium last year. He started fast and finished fast as a rookie in 2012. Unfortunately, the “in between” was a bit flat; he was a rookie, after all, and the longer season tends to smack first-year types squarely upside the head at some point.
At any rate, Nick DeLeon, 22, has a big future, and his year ahead for United is worth following. Meanwhile, DeLeon is about to make a big decision about where that future might take him. The United attacker has been called for T&T for a Feb. 6 friendly. That won’t bind him as it is not an official FIFA competition.
Still, it’s a piece of the selection puzzle. There are a lot of moving parts on this one, including DeLeon’s relationship with his father. So the pull to play for the Soca Warriors may prove strong.
- James Rodriguez to be unveiled by Real Madrid on Tuesday, join club for U.S. tour 1
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 7
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10