Jan 29, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Tuesday’s shameful display by some fans in the Netherlands is unfortunate for more important reasons, but this, too, should be mentioned:
It overshadowed a big step for AZ Alkmaar and Jozy Altidore, who are one step closer to a big spring goal: grabbing a spot in next year’s European competition through the KNVB Cup.
AZ’s big 5-0 win today over Den Bosch put Altidore’s club into the Dutch Cup semifinals.
Altidore may not be around to enjoy the achievement next year; given his continued strong goal scoring, a second consecutive fruitful season, it’s increasingly likely the small Dutch club will cash out on the young U.S. striker this summer.
Either way, a presiding spring goal for AZ was winning the Dutch Cup and grabbing the Europa League spot that goes with it. AZ can still get into Europe via Dutch Eredivisie play – the team is currently ninth – but the KNVB Cup path looks slightly less troublesome now.
Even getting into the Dutch Cup semifinals might be enough; if the Dutch Cup winner is already into European competition by virtue of its Eredivisie standing, the competition’s runner-up gets that Europa spot. That means Altidore and Alkmaar may be one win away.
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 4
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0
- NBC to air all 10 Premier League games on final day in “Championship Sunday” extravaganza 4
- Minnesota Vikings “stepping up” bid for MLS franchise 9
- Manchester City the best paid team in sport, beat New York Yankees to accolade 4
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 1