Jan 29, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Tuesday’s shameful display by some fans in the Netherlands is unfortunate for more important reasons, but this, too, should be mentioned:
It overshadowed a big step for AZ Alkmaar and Jozy Altidore, who are one step closer to a big spring goal: grabbing a spot in next year’s European competition through the KNVB Cup.
AZ’s big 5-0 win today over Den Bosch put Altidore’s club into the Dutch Cup semifinals.
Altidore may not be around to enjoy the achievement next year; given his continued strong goal scoring, a second consecutive fruitful season, it’s increasingly likely the small Dutch club will cash out on the young U.S. striker this summer.
Either way, a presiding spring goal for AZ was winning the Dutch Cup and grabbing the Europa League spot that goes with it. AZ can still get into Europe via Dutch Eredivisie play – the team is currently ninth – but the KNVB Cup path looks slightly less troublesome now.
Even getting into the Dutch Cup semifinals might be enough; if the Dutch Cup winner is already into European competition by virtue of its Eredivisie standing, the competition’s runner-up gets that Europa spot. That means Altidore and Alkmaar may be one win away.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0