Jan 30, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Jozy Altidore, 22, has always handled himself publicly as a man beyond his years.
So we probably should not be surprised to see the U.S. international react with such diplomacy and composure after Tuesday’s ugliness, when he was the subject to racist taunts from Den Bosch.
In this video link from the Dutch Cup, Altidore says the episode was obviously disappointing, but that he has “an obligation as a football player, to my club and to my family as well, to not react to things like this, to show that the club stands for more than that and that I was raised better than that.”
That’s a poised, stand-up response – especially when few would have blamed him for being a little less a restrained.
Further, from a statement released Tuesday night by his representative, Altidore said:
Obviously, what happened today outside the field of play was very unfortunate. It was disappointing for my team, our fans who traveled to the match to support us and for the Den Bosch supporters embarrassed by the select, ignorant few in attendance. But unfortunately, this is still the way things are. Racism remains prevalent in the world. The only thing you can pray for is a positive outcome from situations like these. You hope parents and coaches of young, impressionable athletes — not just soccer players — are told that what happened today isn’t right. It is never acceptable.”
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 5
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1