Jan 31, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
— Richard Motzkin (@RichardMotzkin) January 31, 2013
It took too long — far too long, with too many back and forths for us to handle — but young American potential star Brek Shea is off to the English Premier League. He will join Geoff Cameron at Stoke City after he passed his physical and earned a work permit.
The transfer fee is around $4 million.
It’s a good move for the 23-year-old who had a superb 2011 but struggled last season for FC Dallas. He gets a much-needed change of scenery and the Potters get some help they desperately need on the wing. Under the right tutelage and with a little patience, Shea is the type of player — big, strong, fast, physical, and skilled — who could thrive for a long time in the EPL.
The move could also help him work his way back into a starting role with the United States national team. Although Shea made substitute appearances in both matches against Jamaica in September, he last figured in the Starting XI way back in February 2012. If he can battle his way into regular playing time with Stoke, he will help his case with Jurgen Klinsmann significantly.
Of course, there’s the possibility that the move goes horribly wrong, that Shea can’t find his form and languishes on the bench. But he had reached his limit in MLS and needed a move. This one has the potential to turn out very well.
VITAL UPDATE (NOTICED BY PST HEAD HONCHO STEVE DAVIS):
Happy for my man @breksheaCongrats. Do your thing over there. Will be watchin.
— Dirk Nowitzki (@swish41) January 31, 2013
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla