Jan 31, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
— Richard Motzkin (@RichardMotzkin) January 31, 2013
It took too long — far too long, with too many back and forths for us to handle — but young American potential star Brek Shea is off to the English Premier League. He will join Geoff Cameron at Stoke City after he passed his physical and earned a work permit.
The transfer fee is around $4 million.
It’s a good move for the 23-year-old who had a superb 2011 but struggled last season for FC Dallas. He gets a much-needed change of scenery and the Potters get some help they desperately need on the wing. Under the right tutelage and with a little patience, Shea is the type of player — big, strong, fast, physical, and skilled — who could thrive for a long time in the EPL.
The move could also help him work his way back into a starting role with the United States national team. Although Shea made substitute appearances in both matches against Jamaica in September, he last figured in the Starting XI way back in February 2012. If he can battle his way into regular playing time with Stoke, he will help his case with Jurgen Klinsmann significantly.
Of course, there’s the possibility that the move goes horribly wrong, that Shea can’t find his form and languishes on the bench. But he had reached his limit in MLS and needed a move. This one has the potential to turn out very well.
VITAL UPDATE (NOTICED BY PST HEAD HONCHO STEVE DAVIS):
Happy for my man @breksheaCongrats. Do your thing over there. Will be watchin.
— Dirk Nowitzki (@swish41) January 31, 2013
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 19
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)