Jan 31, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
Tim Howard and Sylvain Distin are, it seems, massive UFC fans.
“Tim and I have started watching it a lot and are always calling each other up during events or talking about it in the dressing room afterwards,” the Everton defender tells the Mirror.
The pair even do pad work once a week, which, I dunno, seems like it might be a violation of the contractual terms or something. But I guess not.
Anyway, they were pretty excited when two British UFC stars Terry Etim and Andy “The Little Axe” Ogle showed up at the soccer club’s training ground to hang out, take pictures, and chat with the two soccer stars who know their stuff.
“Honestly I was a little surprised that they knew so much about the UFC, but that just shows how much the sport is growing in the UK,” Etim said of the encounter.
The conversation, no doubt influenced by a meddlesome Mirror reporter, turned to the topic of who would win a fight between the goalkeeper and the central defender.
“I tell Sylvain this all the time, he hits these pads but the pads don’t hit back, that part is easy,” Howard told the Mirror. “I mean he’s got a big left hand but if I can slip it he might be in trouble!”
Truth! I suppose.
The whole thing is just very strange, but you should really click through to the Mirror story to see the amazing picture of Howard facing off against Etim.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago