Jan 31, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Tim Howard and Sylvain Distin are, it seems, massive UFC fans.
“Tim and I have started watching it a lot and are always calling each other up during events or talking about it in the dressing room afterwards,” the Everton defender tells the Mirror.
The pair even do pad work once a week, which, I dunno, seems like it might be a violation of the contractual terms or something. But I guess not.
Anyway, they were pretty excited when two British UFC stars Terry Etim and Andy “The Little Axe” Ogle showed up at the soccer club’s training ground to hang out, take pictures, and chat with the two soccer stars who know their stuff.
“Honestly I was a little surprised that they knew so much about the UFC, but that just shows how much the sport is growing in the UK,” Etim said of the encounter.
The conversation, no doubt influenced by a meddlesome Mirror reporter, turned to the topic of who would win a fight between the goalkeeper and the central defender.
“I tell Sylvain this all the time, he hits these pads but the pads don’t hit back, that part is easy,” Howard told the Mirror. “I mean he’s got a big left hand but if I can slip it he might be in trouble!”
Truth! I suppose.
The whole thing is just very strange, but you should really click through to the Mirror story to see the amazing picture of Howard facing off against Etim.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 6
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 15
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (36)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (21)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (15)