Jan 31, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Tim Howard and Sylvain Distin are, it seems, massive UFC fans.
“Tim and I have started watching it a lot and are always calling each other up during events or talking about it in the dressing room afterwards,” the Everton defender tells the Mirror.
The pair even do pad work once a week, which, I dunno, seems like it might be a violation of the contractual terms or something. But I guess not.
Anyway, they were pretty excited when two British UFC stars Terry Etim and Andy “The Little Axe” Ogle showed up at the soccer club’s training ground to hang out, take pictures, and chat with the two soccer stars who know their stuff.
“Honestly I was a little surprised that they knew so much about the UFC, but that just shows how much the sport is growing in the UK,” Etim said of the encounter.
The conversation, no doubt influenced by a meddlesome Mirror reporter, turned to the topic of who would win a fight between the goalkeeper and the central defender.
“I tell Sylvain this all the time, he hits these pads but the pads don’t hit back, that part is easy,” Howard told the Mirror. “I mean he’s got a big left hand but if I can slip it he might be in trouble!”
Truth! I suppose.
The whole thing is just very strange, but you should really click through to the Mirror story to see the amazing picture of Howard facing off against Etim.
- VIDEO: Story so far… reviewing 2014-15 Premier League season at halfway point 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City stumble as Arsenal makes up ground 1
- Newcastle United 3-2 Everton: Thriller at St. James Park sees Magpies hold on 1
- Jose Mourinho claims there’s a “campaign” against Chelsea after Fabregas diving furor 4
- Manchester City 2-2 Burnley: Brave Burnley battles back behind Boyd, Barnes 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s draw vs. Southampton 1