Jan 31, 2013, 8:48 AM EST
Omar Gonzalez and a few other U.S. national team men who just flew out of Houston have an odd few days ahead.
None of them have been in camp as yet for their Major League Soccer clubs. Rather, they have been in Jurgen Klinsmann U.S. national team camp since Jan. 6; MLS camps opened on Jan. 17 or in the next couple of days after.
Guys like Tony Beltran or A.J. DeLaGarza can comfortably blend right back into their MLS teams this morning, or after a day off or whatever.
But what of Kyle Beckerman, Graham Zusi, Eddie Johnson and others who may join up with Klinsmann again this weekend in Miami, where they will prep for the trip into Honduras to begin final stage World Cup qualifying?
Gonzalez is another one who may be on that list of 6-8 men from the January camp to be called into Miami. We’ll use him as an example.
Gonzalez had a day off / travel day planned after the camp. He told me late Tuesday night that he would be in Los Angeles on Thursday to meet with Galaxy coach Bruce Arena.
So he could spend a day or two training with the Galaxy – and then get right back on a plane bound for Miami. Or he could take it easy a few days rather than popping in and out of the Galaxy sessions, which might be a little awkward. (This is all assuming he’ll be part of the team that goes into Honduras, which seems likely but is no slam dunk.)
Sound like Gonzalez is ready to trust Arena.
“Bruce has been doing this for a long time,” Gonzalez told me. “We’ll talk about it, and he’ll know exactly how to handle it.”
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"