Jan 31, 2013, 8:48 AM EDT
Omar Gonzalez and a few other U.S. national team men who just flew out of Houston have an odd few days ahead.
None of them have been in camp as yet for their Major League Soccer clubs. Rather, they have been in Jurgen Klinsmann U.S. national team camp since Jan. 6; MLS camps opened on Jan. 17 or in the next couple of days after.
Guys like Tony Beltran or A.J. DeLaGarza can comfortably blend right back into their MLS teams this morning, or after a day off or whatever.
But what of Kyle Beckerman, Graham Zusi, Eddie Johnson and others who may join up with Klinsmann again this weekend in Miami, where they will prep for the trip into Honduras to begin final stage World Cup qualifying?
Gonzalez is another one who may be on that list of 6-8 men from the January camp to be called into Miami. We’ll use him as an example.
Gonzalez had a day off / travel day planned after the camp. He told me late Tuesday night that he would be in Los Angeles on Thursday to meet with Galaxy coach Bruce Arena.
So he could spend a day or two training with the Galaxy – and then get right back on a plane bound for Miami. Or he could take it easy a few days rather than popping in and out of the Galaxy sessions, which might be a little awkward. (This is all assuming he’ll be part of the team that goes into Honduras, which seems likely but is no slam dunk.)
Sound like Gonzalez is ready to trust Arena.
“Bruce has been doing this for a long time,” Gonzalez told me. “We’ll talk about it, and he’ll know exactly how to handle it.”
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 0
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers