Jan 31, 2013, 8:48 AM EDT
Omar Gonzalez and a few other U.S. national team men who just flew out of Houston have an odd few days ahead.
None of them have been in camp as yet for their Major League Soccer clubs. Rather, they have been in Jurgen Klinsmann U.S. national team camp since Jan. 6; MLS camps opened on Jan. 17 or in the next couple of days after.
Guys like Tony Beltran or A.J. DeLaGarza can comfortably blend right back into their MLS teams this morning, or after a day off or whatever.
But what of Kyle Beckerman, Graham Zusi, Eddie Johnson and others who may join up with Klinsmann again this weekend in Miami, where they will prep for the trip into Honduras to begin final stage World Cup qualifying?
Gonzalez is another one who may be on that list of 6-8 men from the January camp to be called into Miami. We’ll use him as an example.
Gonzalez had a day off / travel day planned after the camp. He told me late Tuesday night that he would be in Los Angeles on Thursday to meet with Galaxy coach Bruce Arena.
So he could spend a day or two training with the Galaxy – and then get right back on a plane bound for Miami. Or he could take it easy a few days rather than popping in and out of the Galaxy sessions, which might be a little awkward. (This is all assuming he’ll be part of the team that goes into Honduras, which seems likely but is no slam dunk.)
Sound like Gonzalez is ready to trust Arena.
“Bruce has been doing this for a long time,” Gonzalez told me. “We’ll talk about it, and he’ll know exactly how to handle it.”
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?