Feb 1, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
The new day Cosmos continue to build there club, personnel structure and the modern brand, today announcing that Alecko Eskandarian had joined the club as an assistant coach.
Eskandarian will serve under former New York MetroStars standout Giovanni Savarese, who was named manager of the North American Soccer League expansion side in late November.
Not only is Eskandarian generally a respected figure in national soccer circles, he has family history with the Cosmos, an organization once peerless in its rule over domestic soccer. As the New York Post put it this morning in its report on the hire: “The Cosmos have long been in Eskandarian’s DNA. His father Andranik Eskandarian was a defender for the original Cosmos from 1978 to 1984, and Alecko was a regular fixture at Cosmos practices as a kid.”
But he had more than history. Eskandarian played professionally for DC United, the LA Galaxy, Toronto FC, Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA. His best days came with D.C. United, where he won the 2004 MLS Cup while being named the game’s MVP.
That side, coached by Peter Nowak, also included a young Freddy Adu.
Concussion-related symptoms forced Eskandarian to retire in 2010 at age 28.
Just yesterday, the club signed longtime Real Salt Lake backup goalkeeper Kyle Reynish.
(FYI: We have a Three Good Questions feature with Cosmos CEO Seamus O’Brien coming Sunday at ProSoccerTalk.)
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014