Feb 1, 2013, 11:41 AM EDT
David Beckham is, and always has been, so very many things.
Some observers may feel differently, but the former England international can still be an effective midfielder at a high level. Not as effective, surely, and not over longer stretches. But the proud man comes equipped with a highly competitive driving force, so Beckham will work diligently to ensure that he doesn’t embarrass himself at Paris Saint-Germain.
And he remains a marketing tour du force, no doubt. The move into a fresh media hunting ground, out of a major media market but into an even more glamorous one, will tidy up any waning ability to draw top endorsement dollar. Perhaps only for a little while longer, but still.
Now … is he an actual “tourist attraction?”
Hmmm. That may be stretching things a bit.
Will people come from lands afar to bear witness as Beckham warms-up, stretches, smirks and preens a bit and then works that famous right foot for limited minutes at Parc des Princes in southwest Paris? We can have a good debate about that one.
Beckham will surely add a few bodies into the ground as regional fans check out PSG’s newest high-dollar addition, but let’s not get carried away.
We are talking to you, Mr. Paris Mayor, Bertrand Delanoe, who calls Beckham the City of Light’s latest tourist attraction, a la the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame cathedral.
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 1
- Reports: Manchester United nearing cut-price loan for Falcao 4
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 3
- Done deal: Chelsea sign Loic Remy from QPR 0
- Tottenham 0-3 Liverpool: Familiar scenes as Reds storm Spurs in London 4