Skip to content

Klinsmann’s late announcement: You are not entitled to anything (but controversy)

Feb 2, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT

Head coach of the U.S. national soccer team Klinsmann of Germany looks at his players during a practice session at the Azteca stadium in Mexico City

Earlier this week, Honduras named their team that will face the U.S. Wednesday in the opening match of CONCACAF’s final round of World Cup Qualifying. In contrast, Jurgen Klinsmann will wait until Monday to name his, taking the weekend to see if any injuries force changes to the team he’s likely to recall.

That’s important to note. People have expressed concerns about Klinsmann failing to make his team public, but he’s already been in touch with the players and their teams. He’s had to. National teams have to notify clubs well in advance in order to obtain a player’s release for an international break. Those players have to be “reserved.” You may not know who Klinsmann’s taking to Honduras, and I may not know, but everybody who needs the information has been kept in the loop. If there’s a possibility you’re getting called in, you probably already know.

This morning the Washington Post’s Steven Goff gave his feelings on the controversy. Under a headline calling Klinsmann’s decision puzzling, Goff notes U.S. coaches have a history of similar shenanigans while claiming a more open policy “fuels healthy debate about who should play and what combinations would be most effective” while quelling undo speculation:

Waiting to go public also feeds the rumor machine (aka Twitter):

“My cousin’s ex says Boyd boarding flight in Frankfurt!”

“Just saw Beasley on SoBe. Well, looked like him”

“Deuce tweetin about eatin fish n chips. Shouldn’t he be in Honduras by now??? WTF”

There’s no competitive disadvantage in “a roster announcement, revealing between 22 and 25 players,” Goff says, while Honduras already “have a pretty good idea who is traveling.” Withholding the roster until the last-minute creates uncertainty where there’s no need for doubt. It also “puts the players in a difficult position” of having to hold their tongues.

I have trouble buying any of these arguments.

  • In the past, roster announcements have usually led to one day of debate (interest-building) before people settle into interest stories and preview analysis. That will happen on Monday.
  • The speculation that Goff sites in his piece are all Twitter hypotheticals that would happen regardless of when the roster was announced. If U.S. Soccer said it’d release a list on Friday, Thursday would see people speculating whether Sacha Kljestan’s getting called in.
  • And players always have to withhold information. Klinsmann’s decision to delay just extends that period for a few meaningless days.

And as Goff says, Honduras basically knows who’s most likely to travel. So do we. If withholding the names of the players does little to keep the information from the Catrachos, why are we in the dark? If anything, our proximity to the situation should allow us greater knowledge of the probable roster. Why are we complaining about the secrecy of a list when most of the names are no secret at all?

The only drawback to holding the roster back is risking the scorn of writers and fans, yet it’s unclear why media and supporters feel entitled to this information. As Goff notes, this is not a new situation. Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley were also slow to make their selections public. Isn’t this something we should be used to?

There are, however, a couple of possible benefits. Klinsmann gets more time to decide which of the players he’s “reserved” for possible travel will actually go to Honduras. He avoids the potential scrutiny of selecting a player only not to take him, thereby causing a small amount of public embarrassment to the player. And there’s the original reasoning: Wanting to wait to see how people come through the weekend before naming his traveling squad.

There’s nothing wrong with the way Honduras has done it — name your team early — but is there anything wrong with how Klinsmann’s gone about his business? Only if you feel entitled to information you were never guaranteed in the first place. At what point did we, as a soccer culture, feel we deserved this information? Because as Goff notes, it hadn’t always been available in the past.

I can’t help but think we’re becoming caricatures of ourselves. We’re always finding new things to fuss about. Our anguish must always be palpable. The difference between getting and not getting a preliminary roster has no effect on the game, how we perceive it, or the debate that precedes the match, but if there is an alternate universe in which we could have this information, then why aren’t we on that timeline? Why can’t we deal with the realities of that world instead of the possibilities of our own?

Klinsmann isn’t making life easier for journalists easier, but that isn’t his job. Nor is it his job to subvert what he thinks is best in order to appease hardcore fans. While some may see this as Klinsmann coming “across, fairly or unfairly, as paranoid, dark — and maybe a little nervous,” as Goff puts it, it’s more likely this is just a guy doing what he thinks is best.

If Klinsmann is paranoid or nervous, that’d be a first. We might want to consider other possibilities. We may want to see consider whether any of this really matters.

We’ll get the names soon enough, and we’ll have plenty of time to drive every debate into the ground. No dead horse will be left unbeaten. If we have to put off the ceremonial hand-wringing and second-guessing for a day, so be it. It doesn’t hurt anything but our sense of entitlement.

Latest Posts
  1. Mikel Arteta out at least two weeks with sprained ankle, will miss Besiktas clash

    Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

    Should age matter when evaluating a player's contract extension? Getty Images

    Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.

  2. UEFA Champions League Roundup: Porto and Zenit win, all others draw

    Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

    Hector Herrera

    Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.

  3. Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli

    Aug 20, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

    Italy Training Session & Press Conference Getty Images

    Could Mario Balotelli be Liverpool’s answer to replace Luis Suarez?

  4. Vincent Tan ruins Malky Mackay’s chance of landing the Crystal Palace job

    Aug 20, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT

    Cardiff City v Charlton Athletic - npower Championship Getty Images

    Malky Mackay can’t escape Vincent Tan after Cardiff owner files report with FA that prompts Palace to withdraw managerial offer.

  5. Cristiano Ronaldo questionable for Super Cup second leg with back injury

    Aug 20, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

    Cristiano Ronaldo AP

    Will Cristiano Ronaldo’s back injury prevent him from playing the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup?

  6. Report: Warrior Football to be re-branded as New Balance in 2015/16

    Aug 20, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

    Warrior Shirt

    Liverpool fans can finally kiss goodbye that Warrior label but will that improve the designs?

  7. Preview: DC United, Montreal back in CONCACAF Champions League action

    Aug 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT

    Philadelphia Union v DC United - Disney Pro Soccer Classic Getty Images

    D.C. welcome Jamaican side Waterhouse to RFK, while Montreal head to El Salvador in CCL group stages.

  8. Marcus Rojo officially signs for Manchester United in $26.5 million deal

    Aug 20, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

    Source: Manchester United Source: Manchester United

    Red Devils finally land their man as Argentine defender signs five-year deal.

  9. Manchester United to pay Nani’s $8 million wages, in full, during loan spell

    Aug 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

    Manchester United's Nani is challenged by Chelsea's Lampard for the ball during their English FA Cup quarter-final soccer match at Old Trafford in Manchester Reuters

    Nani is being paid his Manchester United wages in full… to play for Sporting Lisbon.

  10. Unsung hero: Luka Modric signs new four-year deal at Real Madrid

    Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

    Before! Before!

    The diminutive Croatian midfielder will remain at Real after proving himself in the Spanish capital.

  11. Queens Park Rangers sign Dutch international Leroy Fer in $16 million deal

    Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT

    Source: Queens Park Rangers Source: Queens Park Rangers

    Fer, 24, is back in the Premier League as QPR capture box-to-box midfielder.

  12. Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets

    Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT

    Don Garber AP

    Set to arrive in MLS in 2017, the league’s newest franchise has already sold a staggering number of season tickets.

  13. No Turkish delight for Arsenal: Ramsey sent off, Arteta injured, Wenger fumes

    Aug 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

    Arsene Wenger, Slaven Bilic AP

    Wenger: “It’s very difficult to understand but, in the second half, the performance of the referee was very bad.”

  14. Thomas Muller reveals he rejected “astronomical” offer from Manchester United

    Aug 20, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT

    FBL-EUR-C1-MAN CITY-BAYERN MUNICH Getty Images

    Muller: “The amount that foreign clubs were offering me was astronomical. But Bayern are my club.”

  15. Swansea City sign Argentine defender Federico Fernandez

    Aug 20, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

    Argentina v Bosnia-Herzegovina: Group F - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

    Fernandez arrives from Napoli as Swans sign Argentine center back.

  16. Newly appointed Italian soccer president probed by UEFA amid racism claims

    Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT

    Italy Federation Racism AP

    Following his alleged racist comments, leader of Italian soccer facing lengthy ban.

  17. Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Carvalho to Chelsea, Zaha to Palace

    Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

    Sporting Lisboa's William Carvalho celebrates his goal against Porto during their Portuguese premier league soccer match in Porto Reuters

    Arsenal to miss out on Carvalho, Nastasic, as rumors continue to swirl. Check out the latest gossip, here.

  18. No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal

    Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT

    Manchester City v Barcelona - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Getty Images

    Barcelona banned by FIFA from signing any new players from September 2014 to January 2016.

Featured video

Top five PL goals, Week 1