Feb 3, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Thank you, Twitter, for helping us unscramble this one.
It looks like Dan Kennedy will indeed be the man between the pipes this year for Chivas USA.
(Aside: The Home Depot Center’s second tenant will be nothing if not fascinating to watch in 2013 as manager Jose Luis Sanchez Sola attempts to sort out MLS while simultaneously adhering to the whims of owner Jorge Vergara. Good luck, sir.)
The club’s 20-year-old goalkeeping prospect, Antonio Rodriguez, is returning to the Chivas mother ship in Guadelajara, so revealed in a series of Tweets yesterday.
Rodriguez was among a fivesome sent to the MLS club by Chivas de Guadalajara as part of the club’s rediscovered commitment to some kind of cooperative, developmental arrangement.
That desire to use Chivas USA to help groom young talent is the only reason a 20-year-old with little high-level experience might have made a veteran MLS All-Star somehow expendable. For a while, that seemed to be the case as Dan Kennedy trade rumors swirled over the last few months.
Past that, this piece from Chivas USA blog The Goat Parade explains it best:
Although we can’t make ironclad assumptions that Dan Kennedy cannot possibly leave Chivas USA in 2013, this is by far the best indication yet that coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola is serious about making Kennedy the building block of the team. Of course, the cases looked absurd from the start – a 30-year old who was coming off an All-Star selection, finishing as runner-up in league Goalkeeper of the Year voting, and was selected team MVP for the second year running, versus a 20-year old prospect with likely a bright future ahead of him but next to no game experience, and certainly no MLS experience.”
If you are a Chivas USA supporter, you are feeling a little better about things today – and a little better about the new staff’s ability to make wise personnel choices.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0