Feb 3, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
Maurice Edu’s move to Turkey is already paying dividends.
No, the league is not as high-quality and certainly not as revered as his former EPL home. But what difference does it make if the U.S. international isn’t playing?
Edu certainly is getting into the action at Bursaspor, where the U.S. midfielder just finished his fourth match with the Turkish Super Lig club.
It has been just over two weeks since Edu moved to Bursaspor on loan from Stoke City. For whatever reason, he just never caught on with Stoke and manager Tony Pulis after his summer move from Rangers in Scotland.
We’ll find out tomorrow whether Edu will meet up with the U.S. national team in Miami, where they will train for two days ahead of Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier in Honduras. Best guess is that, yes, Edu will find his way into Jurgen Klinsmann’s 20-something man selection.
This much is certain: his chances are certainly better now that he’s playing.
By the way, Bursaspor’s result Saturday wasn’t a bad one, a 1-1 draw with Super Lig leaders Galatasaray, where new high-profile signing Wesley Sneijder got in for the last 20 minutes.
Edu started and played the entire way.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint