Feb 3, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Your early candidate for MLS breakout man of the year: Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks.
It’s only Feb. 3, but the man is already on a preseason tear. Last week, the young Jamaican had a hat trick within the first 15 minutes in a 4-1 win over New England to open preseason play.
By the way, that was more or less New England’s top choice back line.
Saturday, Mattocks struck again as Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps defeated Houston 2-1 in Arizona. Dominic Kinnear’s Dynamo was also playing what looked like a first-choice selection. Both teams’ lineups are here.
Mattocks, the second pick in last year’s draft, had seven goals as a rookie in 2012.
Mattocks’ goal Saturday, plus other highlights from the ‘Caps’ win:
- Burnley 0-0 Manchester United: Sloppy Utd overshadows Di Maria debut 2
- Report: Ajax accepts $23 mil Daley Blind bid from Manchester United 2
- Watch Live: Burnley vs. Manchester United (Lineups) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 3 0
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1