Feb 3, 2013, 10:12 AM EST
Your early candidate for MLS breakout man of the year: Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks.
It’s only Feb. 3, but the man is already on a preseason tear. Last week, the young Jamaican had a hat trick within the first 15 minutes in a 4-1 win over New England to open preseason play.
By the way, that was more or less New England’s top choice back line.
Saturday, Mattocks struck again as Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps defeated Houston 2-1 in Arizona. Dominic Kinnear’s Dynamo was also playing what looked like a first-choice selection. Both teams’ lineups are here.
Mattocks, the second pick in last year’s draft, had seven goals as a rookie in 2012.
Mattocks’ goal Saturday, plus other highlights from the ‘Caps’ win:
- Tesho Akindele brings FC Dallas its first MLS Rookie of the Year award 0
- Watch live: Aston Villa vs. Southampton (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 2
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 1
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1