Feb 3, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT
Your early candidate for MLS breakout man of the year: Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks.
It’s only Feb. 3, but the man is already on a preseason tear. Last week, the young Jamaican had a hat trick within the first 15 minutes in a 4-1 win over New England to open preseason play.
By the way, that was more or less New England’s top choice back line.
Saturday, Mattocks struck again as Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps defeated Houston 2-1 in Arizona. Dominic Kinnear’s Dynamo was also playing what looked like a first-choice selection. Both teams’ lineups are here.
Mattocks, the second pick in last year’s draft, had seven goals as a rookie in 2012.
Mattocks’ goal Saturday, plus other highlights from the ‘Caps’ win:
- League Cup Roundup: Liverpool survive 15-round shootout, Arsenal out 1
- Manchester City’s Pellegrini won’t rule out Lampard loan extension 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Double(d) vision edition 3
- US Soccer stands by Solo stance; Media backlash keeps on coming 9
- PST’s Major League Soccer player of the week: No question who was tops 0
- WATCH: Men in Blazers show debuts on NBCSN 0