Feb 3, 2013, 10:12 AM EST
Your early candidate for MLS breakout man of the year: Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks.
It’s only Feb. 3, but the man is already on a preseason tear. Last week, the young Jamaican had a hat trick within the first 15 minutes in a 4-1 win over New England to open preseason play.
By the way, that was more or less New England’s top choice back line.
Saturday, Mattocks struck again as Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps defeated Houston 2-1 in Arizona. Dominic Kinnear’s Dynamo was also playing what looked like a first-choice selection. Both teams’ lineups are here.
Mattocks, the second pick in last year’s draft, had seven goals as a rookie in 2012.
Mattocks’ goal Saturday, plus other highlights from the ‘Caps’ win:
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (30)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)