Feb 3, 2013, 10:12 AM EST
Your early candidate for MLS breakout man of the year: Vancouver Whitecaps striker Darren Mattocks.
It’s only Feb. 3, but the man is already on a preseason tear. Last week, the young Jamaican had a hat trick within the first 15 minutes in a 4-1 win over New England to open preseason play.
By the way, that was more or less New England’s top choice back line.
Saturday, Mattocks struck again as Martin Rennie’s Whitecaps defeated Houston 2-1 in Arizona. Dominic Kinnear’s Dynamo was also playing what looked like a first-choice selection. Both teams’ lineups are here.
Mattocks, the second pick in last year’s draft, had seven goals as a rookie in 2012.
Mattocks’ goal Saturday, plus other highlights from the ‘Caps’ win:
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 0
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1