Feb 4, 2013, 8:18 AM EST
Because we can expect the men’s national team to dominate conversation over the next few days, and the ladies surely deserve some of our attention, too …
And because American advertising gambits are on our minds after last night’s Super Bowl …
Seemed like the right time for a reminder of Alex Morgan’s increasing marketing muscle:
I snapped this last week in Houston at a sporting goods store not far from BBVA Compass Stadium, where the U.S. men’s team was about to drive headlong into a Canadian wall. Morgan was all over this place; you could barely swing a bag of practice balls without nailing one of her displays inside the store.
Not long ago I talked about Morgan’s fabulous marketing potential. She’s got everything, from commercial appeal to longevity (she’s just 23) to all those flashy numbers posted in 2012. Her 28 goals were third-best ever in a U.S. Soccer calendar year, behind only Abby Wambach (31 in 2004) and Michelle Akers (39 in 1991).
As best as I can round up her endorsements, Morgan has helped represent GNC, Just Dance, Coca-Cola, Panasonic, Kenneth Cole and Bank of America. And, of course, Nike.
The posters inside this store were part of the Nike’s advertising blitz out last fall for the company’s Hyperwarm line.
Here’s the cornerstone commercial of that campaign:
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 6
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"