Feb 4, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Wednesday was always going to be a big day for German-American defender Timmy Chandler, the promising dual-passport holder whose U.S. Soccer tale got all pretzel twisted (not to mention occasionally exasperating) over the last two years.
He’s in. He’s out. He may be back in. He needs rest. Not really. But possibly … Who really knows?
The U.S. qualifier this week in Honduras was to be Chandler’s opportunity to bind himself to the United States soccer cause once and for all.
Now the moment is even bigger, like opportunity on steroids.
That’s due to Steve Cherundolo’s injury. With the longtime incumbent at right back injured, Chandler looks like the top choice to start along the outside in Wednesday’s match at Honduras.
What Klinsmann said Monday during a lunchtime national teleconference from Miami, where the team trained ahead of an evening departure into Honduras:
It is a huge opportunity for Timmy. I think it was simply just maturing, growing into his role as a full-time professional. Sometimes, maybe they are there at [age] 18 or 19, and sometimes it takes a couple of years longer. That’s why we have been and are, very patient with Timmy as he matures. For us as coaches, it’s the jobs to understand where player are … and then to help them get to the next level.”
Klinsmann said he hated to see Cherundolo injured and miss his chance at another final round qualifying cap. On the other hand, Klinsmann said he is “thrilled” that Chandler gets set up with such an opportunity.
“Of course, he still has a lot to to improve on, he still has a way to go, which is right,” Klinsmann said. “Because right now he is only 23 years of age.”
Jun 19, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Feel free to ask yourself at this point: where would the United States be in World Cup qualifying without its young, in-form striker:
Jun 18, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore was the hero for the United States, cooly slotting a left-footed shot to hand the Stars & Stripes a 1-0 victory over Honduras.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The LA Galaxy coach has taken aging players and made them useful parts of the roster before:
Jun 18, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Everyone loves “The Pope”
Jun 18, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Our weekly re-ordering of Major League Soccer teams, following 16 rounds of play:
Jun 18, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
Some of the best U.S. success in the past has come when the United States was backed into a corner. Tonight looks much different:
Jun 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
There are a few choices to be made ahead of Tuesday’s match in Utah:
Jun 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Unsaid in this narrative is this: most U.S. sites are bright and alive these days.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Stuart Pearce has been relieved of his duties as manager of England’s U-21 squad.
Jun 18, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Australia join Brazil and Japan as nations that already have booked their place in next summer’s World Cup.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:56 AM EDT
Hearts have put the entire squad up for sale to raise the reported £500,000 needed to get the club to the start of the season.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Brazil has infrastructure concerns. They’ve also spent $3.3 billion on soccer stadia. No surprise, people aren’t happy.
Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The mythology of Ajax, Dutch soccer and one stars’ struggles outside the Dutch league make this potential transfer difficult to evaluate.
Jun 17, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
It’s only a matter of time before Ancelotti’s holding pattern’s resolved.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public