Feb 4, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
There’s a high “dark cloud” factor covering the multi-layered swap between Chicago and Columbus.
One party was unhappy in Columbus, all hacked off about things in Ohio and thus presumably thrilled to be in Chicago.
One guy sounds none too happy to see that his rights were traded to Chicago. So he’s all hacked off, and it sounds like he has no plans of going to Chicago – never mind that he’s out of contract with nowhere to play at the moment.
Oh, then there Dominic Oduro. He’s happy! Or seems to be if you watch his smiley Tweets.
Yes, this one will take a while to properly dissect.
- The long and short is that Chicago gets midfielder Dilly Duka and the MLS rights of first Robbie Rogers from Columbus, in exchange for striker Oduro.
- Duka, a talented U.S. under-23, is headed to Chicago. He seemed to be moving up the ranks at steady pace around Crew Stadium; Duka got 14 league starts and six appearances off the bench in 2012, not awful for a third-year man at age 23. But he got sideways with management and never seemed to be in Robert Warzycha’s plans for 2013.
- Rogers failed to catch on at Leeds, and that was after hitting a plateau in Columbus previously. So he’s out there, waiting to be signed. That cranked up the speculation wheel, fueling talk that the speedy left winger was en route back to MLS, where Columbus still had his rights. Now, his rights belong to Chicago … but that appears unlikely to happen based on Rogers’ toxic Tweet.
- That’s not a total black eye on the Fire. Not yet, anyway. If Chicago can turn Rogers’ rights into something (a draft pick, a smidgeon of allocation money, perhaps) then they come out looking good here. Either way, Duka for Oduro isn’t a bad deal.
- Oduro is something of a one-trick pony, all speed but precious little imagination. He has averaged a shade under five goals in seven MLS seasons, now on his fifth MLS stop. He’s a good second-half pace-changer, but probably not much more. But, hey … at least he’s happy!
May 23, 2015, 12:37 AM EDT
Final: LA Galaxy 1-0 Houston Dynamo
May 22, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Final: Columbus Crew 2-2 Chicago Fire
May 22, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
PSG is willing to dish out the cash to bring Ronaldo to France. The problem? He would have to leave his built-up glory at Madrid behind him.
May 22, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
PST’s Joe-Prince Wright discussed the final relegation battle between Hull City and Newcastle United.
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Mancini: “If we find players with the right characteristics, we’ll be able to improve the existing players in our squad as well. It won’t be easy….”
May 22, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Ivory Coast manager Hervé Renard is leaving on good terms and with a new challenge ahead of him at Lille.
May 22, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Mexico will have a roster full of their talent from Europe for the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Despite calling himself the “godfather” of women’s soccer, Sepp Blatter didn’t recognize Alex Morgan
May 22, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
FIFA president Blatter called himself the “godfather” of women’s soccer earlier this month, yet he couldn’t recognize one of the biggest stars in the game.
May 22, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
Preview of Chelsea-Sunderland match on Championship Sunday, available to watch on NBCSN beginning at 10 a.m. ET.
May 22, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
As usual, several Americans are ready to take the pitch in Europe this weekend.
May 22, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
If the Magpies win they will survive on the final day. Watch them host West Ham live on USA, online via Live Extra, 10 a.m. ET.
May 22, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Are the Red Bulls willing to take a risk on Osvaldo to bolster their attacking options?
May 22, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Can the Tigers pull off a “great escape” on the final day? Watch live on NBC at 10 a.m. ET on Sunday.
May 22, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The Red Devils boss is confident DDG will be around next season.
May 22, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Here’s how and where to watch every PL game on the final day of the season.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
In his latest blog, our man in the PL gives us a glimpse of what life is like at Stoke’s training ground.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s that time of year again ladies and gents. Get ready for the rumors regarding European veterans heading to MLS.
May 22, 2015, 9:56 AM EDT
The Brazilian defender wants to put the record straight. David, over to you…
May 22, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
After already winning two trophies this season, Chelsea cleaned up once again.
May 22, 2015, 8:20 AM EDT
After Sterling’s agent says his client will not sign a new deal at Liverpool, Reds boss is adamant he will remain at Anfield.
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 0
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1
- Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week 6