Feb 4, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Two important U.S. World Cup qualifier talking points that may be slipping by everyone as we kick and fuss over Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, Jermaine Jones, etc. … you know, and all the other usual suspects in the spin cycle of U.S. Soccer debate:
It’s going to be hot. And humid.
Forecasts for San Pedro Sula, Honduras, on Wednesday call for temperatures in the high 80s with a chance of showers. Meanwhile, today finds the nation’s second largest city at 70 percent humidity, which is pretty much Houston- or New Orleans-type icky-ness.
When is the last time Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler and several others who earn a living in Europe found themselves on the business end of a unholy heat-humidity union like that one? They could struggle.
By the way, kickoff for this one is not under the lights, when the evening cool could tame the temps a little. Which brings us to Point No. 2 that may be escaping folks at the moment:
Starting whistle Wednesday is 4 p.m. ET (live on beIN Sports). Yes, an afternoon kick.
So start setting up your Wednesday bug-out now.
Why, is that a cough I hear from you? I do believe you might be coming down with something.
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 1
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0
- US Vice President Joe Biden to attend USWNT’s World Cup final vs. Japan 1
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5