Feb 4, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Two important U.S. World Cup qualifier talking points that may be slipping by everyone as we kick and fuss over Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, Jermaine Jones, etc. … you know, and all the other usual suspects in the spin cycle of U.S. Soccer debate:
It’s going to be hot. And humid.
Forecasts for San Pedro Sula, Honduras, on Wednesday call for temperatures in the high 80s with a chance of showers. Meanwhile, today finds the nation’s second largest city at 70 percent humidity, which is pretty much Houston- or New Orleans-type icky-ness.
When is the last time Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler and several others who earn a living in Europe found themselves on the business end of a unholy heat-humidity union like that one? They could struggle.
By the way, kickoff for this one is not under the lights, when the evening cool could tame the temps a little. Which brings us to Point No. 2 that may be escaping folks at the moment:
Starting whistle Wednesday is 4 p.m. ET (live on beIN Sports). Yes, an afternoon kick.
So start setting up your Wednesday bug-out now.
Why, is that a cough I hear from you? I do believe you might be coming down with something.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0
- Despite defeat to Chelsea, Louis van Gaal hails Manchester United’s “best match of season” 1
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 2
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Reading: Alexis helps Gunners clinch FA Cup final berth 0