Feb 4, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
Two important U.S. World Cup qualifier talking points that may be slipping by everyone as we kick and fuss over Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, Jermaine Jones, etc. … you know, and all the other usual suspects in the spin cycle of U.S. Soccer debate:
It’s going to be hot. And humid.
Forecasts for San Pedro Sula, Honduras, on Wednesday call for temperatures in the high 80s with a chance of showers. Meanwhile, today finds the nation’s second largest city at 70 percent humidity, which is pretty much Houston- or New Orleans-type icky-ness.
When is the last time Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Timmy Chandler and several others who earn a living in Europe found themselves on the business end of a unholy heat-humidity union like that one? They could struggle.
By the way, kickoff for this one is not under the lights, when the evening cool could tame the temps a little. Which brings us to Point No. 2 that may be escaping folks at the moment:
Starting whistle Wednesday is 4 p.m. ET (live on beIN Sports). Yes, an afternoon kick.
So start setting up your Wednesday bug-out now.
Why, is that a cough I hear from you? I do believe you might be coming down with something.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 2
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit