Feb 5, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Of course, the fabulous likes of Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill are a massive part of the New York Red Bulls construction.
But the thrones would surely fall if not for the sturdy platform on which they sit, the roster backbone provided by solid, talented figures just below the All-Star threshold.
We are talking about guys like hardworking midfielder Joel Lindpere. (Whoops. Scratch that. He’s been traded to Chicago. I almost forgot.)
But there are guys like high-scoring striker Kenny Cooper. (Uh … hold on. My bad. He’s gone, too. Traded along with his 18 goals from 2012 to FC Dallas.)
Well, Dax McCarty is still there. For sure.
In fact, the Red Bulls have given the team’s midfield engine a new deal. Details? Not many as yet, although there will presumably be a raise from the $195,000 guaranteed in 2012.
McCarty was surely one of the league’s unsung heroes last year, a solid, ever-present figure in the midfield around Harrison. And we all know that with Henry (a bit brittle, and disdains playing on artificial turf) and Rafa Marquez (you just never knew with that dude), “ever-present” was a big deal and useful element around Red Bull Arena last year.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 2
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers