Feb 5, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
Of course, the fabulous likes of Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill are a massive part of the New York Red Bulls construction.
But the thrones would surely fall if not for the sturdy platform on which they sit, the roster backbone provided by solid, talented figures just below the All-Star threshold.
We are talking about guys like hardworking midfielder Joel Lindpere. (Whoops. Scratch that. He’s been traded to Chicago. I almost forgot.)
But there are guys like high-scoring striker Kenny Cooper. (Uh … hold on. My bad. He’s gone, too. Traded along with his 18 goals from 2012 to FC Dallas.)
Well, Dax McCarty is still there. For sure.
In fact, the Red Bulls have given the team’s midfield engine a new deal. Details? Not many as yet, although there will presumably be a raise from the $195,000 guaranteed in 2012.
McCarty was surely one of the league’s unsung heroes last year, a solid, ever-present figure in the midfield around Harrison. And we all know that with Henry (a bit brittle, and disdains playing on artificial turf) and Rafa Marquez (you just never knew with that dude), “ever-present” was a big deal and useful element around Red Bull Arena last year.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014