Feb 5, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Of course, the fabulous likes of Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill are a massive part of the New York Red Bulls construction.
But the thrones would surely fall if not for the sturdy platform on which they sit, the roster backbone provided by solid, talented figures just below the All-Star threshold.
We are talking about guys like hardworking midfielder Joel Lindpere. (Whoops. Scratch that. He’s been traded to Chicago. I almost forgot.)
But there are guys like high-scoring striker Kenny Cooper. (Uh … hold on. My bad. He’s gone, too. Traded along with his 18 goals from 2012 to FC Dallas.)
Well, Dax McCarty is still there. For sure.
In fact, the Red Bulls have given the team’s midfield engine a new deal. Details? Not many as yet, although there will presumably be a raise from the $195,000 guaranteed in 2012.
McCarty was surely one of the league’s unsung heroes last year, a solid, ever-present figure in the midfield around Harrison. And we all know that with Henry (a bit brittle, and disdains playing on artificial turf) and Rafa Marquez (you just never knew with that dude), “ever-present” was a big deal and useful element around Red Bull Arena last year.
- Three things we learned from Juventus vs. Real Madrid 0
- Juventus 2-1 Real Madrid: Tevez penalty lifts Juve over defending champs 2
- Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge undergoes hip surgery 0
- LIVE – UEFA Champions League semifinal: Can Juventus beat Real Madrid in Turin? 0
- Reports: Chelsea gearing up contract extension talks with Mourinho 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Juventus vs. Real Madrid in semifinal, 1st leg 2