Feb 5, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Everything you need to know about how big Wednesday’s match is to Honduras, the world’s 94th largest country by population, with roughly the same number of people as Virginia, is right here:
Tomorrow is a national holiday.
No, Los Catrachos’ huge match against the United States to begin final round World Cup qualifying did not fall fortuitously onto some past national leader’s birthday. The country has declared Wednesday a national holiday just for this match.
Ain’t that a kick in the ol’ Catrachos?
There can be no doubt that Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano will be full, deafening and ready to burst. And that will be two hours before the teams kickoff!
This is a good account of what game day in Honduras looks like, this one around a Catrachos-Canada match last fall.
Honduras is looking for its third World Cup finals tournament, having qualified for the first time in 28 years in 2010.
- 2015 Gold Cup: Three things we learned from the USA’s 2-1 victory over Honduras 0
- USMNT 2-1 Honduras: Dempsey brace enough for sloppy Yanks 1
- LOGO: Atlanta United unveils logo, makes name official at Tuesday event 2
- FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT begins Gold Cup defense versus Honduras (Lineups) 0
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1