Feb 5, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Everything you need to know about how big Wednesday’s match is to Honduras, the world’s 94th largest country by population, with roughly the same number of people as Virginia, is right here:
Tomorrow is a national holiday.
No, Los Catrachos’ huge match against the United States to begin final round World Cup qualifying did not fall fortuitously onto some past national leader’s birthday. The country has declared Wednesday a national holiday just for this match.
Ain’t that a kick in the ol’ Catrachos?
There can be no doubt that Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano will be full, deafening and ready to burst. And that will be two hours before the teams kickoff!
This is a good account of what game day in Honduras looks like, this one around a Catrachos-Canada match last fall.
Honduras is looking for its third World Cup finals tournament, having qualified for the first time in 28 years in 2010.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1