Feb 6, 2013, 3:05 PM EST
It’s so hard for U.S. soccer fans to understand, but good teams all over the world struggle to dominate when they travel to play at less-heralded opposition.
So it is with the United States. Should Jurgen Klinsmann’s side somehow overpower a talented and confident Honduran side today and control the match inside the teeming Estadio Olimpico, that will ring the bell of “major surprise.”
Expect a very close game, and probably a low-scoring one. Oddsmakers have made Klinsmann’s team a very small favorite, with better odds on a draw.
Personally, I see a 1-1 tie ahead, although the United States could possibly sneak away with all three points in a 1-0 contest.
In an interview with USSoccer.com from Honduras, main attacking man Clint Dempsey says he expects a very difficult game today in San Pedro Sula as the United States begins final round World Cup qualifying.
Hostile environments, time zone adjustments, having very few training sessions together and teams committed to playing a lot of defense against favorites like the United States all contribute to a road ahead full a chuck holes.
“It’s about getting as many points as you can, to hurry up and qualify as fast as you can, because you don’t want to be stressing come the last game, as we did the last round,” Dempsey says.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 5
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)