Feb 6, 2013, 9:31 PM EDT
This is a soccer blog based in the United States, where the content is weighted heavily toward coverage and conversation of domestic matters.
So most of the hot-talk on tonight’s World Cup qualifier in San Pedro Sula has been U.S.-centric, and unapologetically so. In a nutshell, it was a stinker.
But we really should tip the big Uncle Sam hat to Honduras. Roger Espinoza was an absolute midfield beast. (I keep saying, that guy was the real midfield force for Sporting KC last year, no offense to U.S. international Graham Zusi.)
Oscar Boniek Garcia was a difference maker, and not just for his contribution on the game-winning goal.
And how about the Honduran’s clever choice to play the match in the afternoon heat? The United States appeared zapped from the start. The two German-based outside backs looked like they wanted no part of motoring forward, and who could blame them? They weren’t going to have the legs or lungs to get back.
Michael Bradley, based in Italy (where it is cool and rainy in winter), had the rare off-night. Danny Williams had zero match impact, and the tough conditions must have been some contributing factor, at least.
And who will soon forget the real Honduran moment of genius, Juan Carlos Garcia’s splendid bicycle kick!
So, well done, sirs.
The teams will meet again in the United States on June 28.
Until then … here are Wednesday’s highlights:
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes