Feb 6, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Five U.S. players, including two of the three most important difference-makers, will be on yellow card warning as they do the work in a few hours in San Pedro Sula.
The list: Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Maurice Edu, Fabian Johnson and Graham Zusi. If any of them collect a yellow card against Honduras, they will miss the team’s next World Cup qualifier, March 22 against Costa Rica.
It’s a tricky situation, because that March 22 match in Denver sets up as the most important U.S. match until June. That is no exaggeration.
As Richard Farley spelled out earlier in his excellent dissection of the points needed for safe passage into Brazil ’14, winning at home is always a primary target in World Cup qualifying.
Unless the United States can take six points from its first three road matches (including one at Mexico – yikes!), getting all three points in that match against Costa Rica is essential, if only to hold off any public panic.
A match in Denver without Edu or Zusi is manageable. Johnson’s absence would sting. Dempsey or Bradley being out would be a real body blow.
Five Hondurans are also on yellow card warning: Victor Bernárdez, Carlo Costly, Maynor Figueroa, Arnold Peralta and Mauricio Sabillon.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Toluca Head Coach Accuses San Jose of Being Tall
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma