Feb 7, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
U.S. and Hannover right back Steve Cherundolo has undergone arthroscopic knee surgery, Yanks Abroad reports today.
Hannover officials say a time-table for return is 2-3 weeks, which sounds just a tad optimistic for a defender about to turn 34.
The longtime Hannover fixture will miss his club’s UEFA Europa League matches against Russia’s Anji Machatchkala, a blow for the German club.
For the United States, Cherundolo will almost surely be back (barring further injury or a complication from the current one.) The only question might be about his sharpness and fitness ahead of a match the United States really needs to win.
The game being played at 5,000-feet (in Denver) won’t help matters.
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0