Feb 8, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
U.S. international Sacha Kljestan, a regular off the bench now for Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team, has re-signed with Anderlecht. The new deal keeps him with the Belgium giant through 2016.
That will take Kljestan, 27, through his 30th birthday.
From there? Who knows, but if the man is smart with his money – wages in Belgium won’t make any Premier League starter shiver with jealousy, but it’s certainly a good living – Kljestan can go wherever he wants from there.
If he can make Klinsmann’s roster for World Cup 2014, all the better in terms of valuation. At present, he appears to be in good shape, although he’ll need to hold off up-and-comers with similar skill sets, like Mix Diskerud. (Please resist the urge to add the “if” clause into my previous sentence re the World Cup; We are not there yet.)
The California-born and raised midfielder has always spoken highly of Brussels and his life in Belgium, where he and his wife, model Jamie Lee Darley, seem well settled. But home is home.
After 2016, Kljestan would be MLS Designated Player material, and still plenty young enough to leave a mark on the field.
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 5
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear