Feb 8, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
U.S. international Sacha Kljestan, a regular off the bench now for Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team, has re-signed with Anderlecht. The new deal keeps him with the Belgium giant through 2016.
That will take Kljestan, 27, through his 30th birthday.
From there? Who knows, but if the man is smart with his money – wages in Belgium won’t make any Premier League starter shiver with jealousy, but it’s certainly a good living – Kljestan can go wherever he wants from there.
If he can make Klinsmann’s roster for World Cup 2014, all the better in terms of valuation. At present, he appears to be in good shape, although he’ll need to hold off up-and-comers with similar skill sets, like Mix Diskerud. (Please resist the urge to add the “if” clause into my previous sentence re the World Cup; We are not there yet.)
The California-born and raised midfielder has always spoken highly of Brussels and his life in Belgium, where he and his wife, model Jamie Lee Darley, seem well settled. But home is home.
After 2016, Kljestan would be MLS Designated Player material, and still plenty young enough to leave a mark on the field.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago