Feb 8, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
U.S. international Sacha Kljestan, a regular off the bench now for Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team, has re-signed with Anderlecht. The new deal keeps him with the Belgium giant through 2016.
That will take Kljestan, 27, through his 30th birthday.
From there? Who knows, but if the man is smart with his money – wages in Belgium won’t make any Premier League starter shiver with jealousy, but it’s certainly a good living – Kljestan can go wherever he wants from there.
If he can make Klinsmann’s roster for World Cup 2014, all the better in terms of valuation. At present, he appears to be in good shape, although he’ll need to hold off up-and-comers with similar skill sets, like Mix Diskerud. (Please resist the urge to add the “if” clause into my previous sentence re the World Cup; We are not there yet.)
The California-born and raised midfielder has always spoken highly of Brussels and his life in Belgium, where he and his wife, model Jamie Lee Darley, seem well settled. But home is home.
After 2016, Kljestan would be MLS Designated Player material, and still plenty young enough to leave a mark on the field.
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park