Feb 8, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
After a while, I quit beating the drum for Heath Pearce as a left back.
He was just fine as a center back, but I always wondered why such a good, technical defender with a swell left foot would be “wasted” in the middle.
Again, nothing wrong with Pearce stationed centrally, except that I can find 15-20 MLS center backs with roughly the same ability as a center back. That’s just not the case with left backs in MLS, a position with far less league-wide depth.
Pearce in the middle? He’s in a clump of similar center backs.
Pearce on the left? He’s probably No. 1 in Major League Soccer.
Yes, San Jose’s Justin Morrow or Sporting Kansas City’s Seth Sinovic might have something to say about it. The LA Galaxy’s Todd Dunivant is as reliable as they come, although probably not the attacker that Pearce can be. And at 32, he’s four year’s older than Pearce. But let’s not bog down here.
Still, for reasons that had to do with personnel on hand and … well, who knows why else, Pearce has played in the middle more than out left for Chivas USA and New York (his current address) over the last two years.
So I was interested to see that Pearce was, in fact, on the left in the Red Bulls’ come-from-behind win yesterday, 3-2, over Swedish First Division side Malmo at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.
In the middle: Markus Holgersson and Jamison Olave. With Kosuke Kimura on the right, that looks like a fairly strong back line, and one that add pressure up the wings on the attack.
Thierry Henry got his first preseason goal for the Red Bulls.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''