Feb 9, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
It was good while it lasted, eh?
Friday brought breathless reports of a Shalrie Joseph sighting at Seattle Sounders training.
Clearly, things weren’t going well at Chivas USA; Joseph, a proud man who didn’t feel like he was getting a fair shake, got out of there.
He turned up in Seattle and trained for a couple of days, and it did seem like a place where perhaps the 34-year-old midfielder and four-time MLS Best XI could contribute in a meaningful way, backing up Osvaldo Alonso in another busy Sounders campaign. He would not be contributing to just any club, either, but to one with realistic hopes of actually matching its big ambition.
That does not appear to be the case right now at Chivas USA.
Joseph, many will remember, was a three-time MLS Cup runner-up, but he never won the league’s big medal. So, there was something to be excited about here.
Turns out, he’s not going to win an at Seattle, either. Seattle Times soccer writer Joshua Mayers got the goods.
Perhaps leaving camp at Chivas USA wasn’t Joseph’s best move. Said Schmid:
It’s very evident that he hasn’t trained in a while. It’s evident that he’s very much behind physically, as well. He still needs to make improvements in that regard. You can see little sparks of what Shalrie has brought over the years – that’s why he was a Best XI player – but he’s still a ways away from that form.
There is one other tiny possibility here. That Schmid actually does want Joseph, but needs to boo-hoo the possibility to gain leverage in any swap talks with Chivas USA.
- Did David Beckham just play his farewell match? 0
- As Alex Ferguson says goodbye, Manchester United’s cupboard remains stocked 0
- Bayern Munich finish German season 25 points ahead of Borussia Dortmund 0
- England’s top four: Games that matter in the English Premier League’s last round 0
- Jamie Carragher set to close out his 16-year career at Anfield 0
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago