Feb 9, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
It was good while it lasted, eh?
Friday brought breathless reports of a Shalrie Joseph sighting at Seattle Sounders training.
Clearly, things weren’t going well at Chivas USA; Joseph, a proud man who didn’t feel like he was getting a fair shake, got out of there.
He turned up in Seattle and trained for a couple of days, and it did seem like a place where perhaps the 34-year-old midfielder and four-time MLS Best XI could contribute in a meaningful way, backing up Osvaldo Alonso in another busy Sounders campaign. He would not be contributing to just any club, either, but to one with realistic hopes of actually matching its big ambition.
That does not appear to be the case right now at Chivas USA.
Joseph, many will remember, was a three-time MLS Cup runner-up, but he never won the league’s big medal. So, there was something to be excited about here.
Turns out, he’s not going to win an at Seattle, either. Seattle Times soccer writer Joshua Mayers got the goods.
Perhaps leaving camp at Chivas USA wasn’t Joseph’s best move. Said Schmid:
It’s very evident that he hasn’t trained in a while. It’s evident that he’s very much behind physically, as well. He still needs to make improvements in that regard. You can see little sparks of what Shalrie has brought over the years – that’s why he was a Best XI player – but he’s still a ways away from that form.
There is one other tiny possibility here. That Schmid actually does want Joseph, but needs to boo-hoo the possibility to gain leverage in any swap talks with Chivas USA.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 19
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)