Feb 9, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
It was good while it lasted, eh?
Friday brought breathless reports of a Shalrie Joseph sighting at Seattle Sounders training.
Clearly, things weren’t going well at Chivas USA; Joseph, a proud man who didn’t feel like he was getting a fair shake, got out of there.
He turned up in Seattle and trained for a couple of days, and it did seem like a place where perhaps the 34-year-old midfielder and four-time MLS Best XI could contribute in a meaningful way, backing up Osvaldo Alonso in another busy Sounders campaign. He would not be contributing to just any club, either, but to one with realistic hopes of actually matching its big ambition.
That does not appear to be the case right now at Chivas USA.
Joseph, many will remember, was a three-time MLS Cup runner-up, but he never won the league’s big medal. So, there was something to be excited about here.
Turns out, he’s not going to win an at Seattle, either. Seattle Times soccer writer Joshua Mayers got the goods.
Perhaps leaving camp at Chivas USA wasn’t Joseph’s best move. Said Schmid:
It’s very evident that he hasn’t trained in a while. It’s evident that he’s very much behind physically, as well. He still needs to make improvements in that regard. You can see little sparks of what Shalrie has brought over the years – that’s why he was a Best XI player – but he’s still a ways away from that form.
There is one other tiny possibility here. That Schmid actually does want Joseph, but needs to boo-hoo the possibility to gain leverage in any swap talks with Chivas USA.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Complete list of every transfer in the Premier League on Deadline Day 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0