Feb 10, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
A few things we learned from Chicago 1-0 win over San Jose on Saturday in Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Joel Lindpere and Jeff Larentowicz once again held the middle of Chicago’s 4-4-2. Chris Rolfe played beneath Sherjill MacDonald at the head of the attack.
- Dilly Duka, Arne Friedrich, Patrick Nyarko, and Sean Johnson saw their first action of the 2013 preseason. Duka, the winger recently acquired from Columbus, started on the left.
- The blog On The Fire reported that Gonzalo Segares was sharp on the left in this report. Less impressive, apparently, was Logan Pause, now stationed on the right along the back line.
- Increasingly well-traveled MLS forward Quincy Amarikwa appeared as a guest player for Chicago, earning a late penalty kick.
- From San Jose’s side, forward Chris Wondolowski and defender Justin Morrow made their first preseason appearances in a match for Frank Yallop. They have been in national team camp, of course.
- Several starters were missing for the Earthquakes.
And now, ground-level match highlights with some peppy music:
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 6
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1