Feb 10, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
A few things we learned from Chicago 1-0 win over San Jose on Saturday in Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Joel Lindpere and Jeff Larentowicz once again held the middle of Chicago’s 4-4-2. Chris Rolfe played beneath Sherjill MacDonald at the head of the attack.
- Dilly Duka, Arne Friedrich, Patrick Nyarko, and Sean Johnson saw their first action of the 2013 preseason. Duka, the winger recently acquired from Columbus, started on the left.
- The blog On The Fire reported that Gonzalo Segares was sharp on the left in this report. Less impressive, apparently, was Logan Pause, now stationed on the right along the back line.
- Increasingly well-traveled MLS forward Quincy Amarikwa appeared as a guest player for Chicago, earning a late penalty kick.
- From San Jose’s side, forward Chris Wondolowski and defender Justin Morrow made their first preseason appearances in a match for Frank Yallop. They have been in national team camp, of course.
- Several starters were missing for the Earthquakes.
And now, ground-level match highlights with some peppy music:
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
With Zelalem weaving through defenders on the Arsenal U-19 team, it’s hard not to get antsy about the 17-year-old possibly playing for the United States.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
With their Champions League match in Russia behind closed doors due to a UEFA sanction, fans found a way to watch anyways, and the team rewarded the dedicated supporters.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has pestered the media with information about Costa’s troublesome hamstring all week, but the player himself isn’t listening.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:47 AM EDT
Alan Pardew must deal with yet another off the field issue at St. James Park as reports he’s losing the dressing room don’t look any less true at the moment.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
Are you as tired of Vincent Tan as Cardiff City supporters are?
Sep 30, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
The German defender was courted by Manchester United and Real Madrid, but says he is at Dortmund for the long-run.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Wednesday features eight Champions League matches, including important matchups for Premier League sides Arsenal and Liverpool.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
The newly signed Bayern midfielder had 204 touches in Munich’s 2-0 win over FC Koln.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Martin Odegaard made his international debut this summer as Norway’s youngest player ever.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
With City struggling in the group stages once again, why does this keep happening?
Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
All the stars were out to play as PSG took on Barca in the French capital on Tuesday.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Barcelona midfielder appeared in his 143rd Champions League match today.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Cardiff City’s owner set to invest in Chivas USA?
Sep 30, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The Belgian international was taken off the pitch on a stretcher this weekend with an apparent hamstring injury.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Want a recap of all eight UCL games that took place across Europe on Tuesday? Look no further…
Sep 30, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Totti, Aguero trade goals as City lose more ground in Group E.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Only Nemanja Matic, much to the chagrin of the Sporting crowd, could beat a fantastic Rui Patricio.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
What’s happening around Europe? Find out, here.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Magnifico from Totti, as Italian legend writes his name in the history books.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Moscow was skunked by Roma 5-1 in the first round of group matches, while City fell 1-0 to Bayern.
- So much for bad hamstrings, Costa states he’s ready for Spain selection 0
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 1
- Why do Manchester City struggle so much in the Champions League? 0
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: PSG beat Barcelona, Chelsea top Sporting 2