Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Talented as young Philly Union forward Jack McInerney certainly is, the Union’s 1-1 draw Saturday with Orlando reminds us: he’ll have to fight and scrap for the minutes.
McInerney was Philadelphia’s leading scorer last year (8 goals) and clearly has good things ahead. But in the Union’s starting 11 Saturday in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic in Florida, Sebastien Le Toux and Conor Casey were the preferred forwards in coach John Hackworth’s 4-4-2.
A couple other points from Saturday’s contest:
- Newcomer Jeff Parke paired with Amobi Okugo centrally in defense, with Sheanon Williams and Gabriel Farfan on the outside and Brian Carroll protecting from midfield. None of that sounds too bad, does it?
- Hackworth praised the conditioning efforts of Saturday’s Union
goal scorerset-up man Roger Torres; last year, Hackworth called out the young attacker for flagging fitness.
- That 4-4-2 is interesting, considering Le Toux’s pace gives Hackworth the opportunity to deploy the Frenchman a little wider in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. McInerney could conceivably play wider, too. Michael Farfan, who had such a breakout year in 2012, would set up as the offensive string-puller in whatever formation Hackworth chooses.
The Philadelphia Union’s starting lineup: Zach MacMath, Gabriel Farfan, Amobi Okugo, Jeff Parke, Sheanon Williams, Brian Carroll, Keon Daniel, Michael Farfan, Danny Cruz, Sebastien Le Toux, Conor Casey.
- Three MLS sides chasing Carlton Cole? 0
- Champions League final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 8
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte