Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Talented as young Philly Union forward Jack McInerney certainly is, the Union’s 1-1 draw Saturday with Orlando reminds us: he’ll have to fight and scrap for the minutes.
McInerney was Philadelphia’s leading scorer last year (8 goals) and clearly has good things ahead. But in the Union’s starting 11 Saturday in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic in Florida, Sebastien Le Toux and Conor Casey were the preferred forwards in coach John Hackworth’s 4-4-2.
A couple other points from Saturday’s contest:
- Newcomer Jeff Parke paired with Amobi Okugo centrally in defense, with Sheanon Williams and Gabriel Farfan on the outside and Brian Carroll protecting from midfield. None of that sounds too bad, does it?
- Hackworth praised the conditioning efforts of Saturday’s Union
goal scorerset-up man Roger Torres; last year, Hackworth called out the young attacker for flagging fitness.
- That 4-4-2 is interesting, considering Le Toux’s pace gives Hackworth the opportunity to deploy the Frenchman a little wider in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. McInerney could conceivably play wider, too. Michael Farfan, who had such a breakout year in 2012, would set up as the offensive string-puller in whatever formation Hackworth chooses.
The Philadelphia Union’s starting lineup: Zach MacMath, Gabriel Farfan, Amobi Okugo, Jeff Parke, Sheanon Williams, Brian Carroll, Keon Daniel, Michael Farfan, Danny Cruz, Sebastien Le Toux, Conor Casey.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT
Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”
Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?
Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
The 3,600 meters of elevation will provide a stiff challenge, with many opposing clubs having fallen victim to the altitude.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Manchester United continued their success in the US with a third consecutive victory.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Sturridge and Ibe step to the mic and hold their own.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
In a startling revelation, AS has revealed that Radamel Falcao has begun following three Real Madrid players on Instagram.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Big day for headlines coming out of Southampton but this one looks to be quite promising for Saints fans.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Twenty-seven years after his first stint with Gremio, Luis Felipe Scolari is returning to the Brazilian side as its new manager.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Krkic, who made the $6.7 million move from Barcelona last week, scored a cracker of a first goal for Stoke City.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Tevez’s family was then phoned and told to deliver a ransom of $5,000 (40,000 pesos).
Jul 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
“Every penny of that will be up for reinvestment as transfer fees and wages,” Krueger said.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Where, exactly, Ronaldinho’s future ends up is anyone’s guess.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
ICC and MLS action is in full swing in the USA this week. Watch it all online, here.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Jacobson arrives in the Big Apple from Dallas. Will Aquilani join him?
- Everton set to complete $50 million deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11