Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Talented as young Philly Union forward Jack McInerney certainly is, the Union’s 1-1 draw Saturday with Orlando reminds us: he’ll have to fight and scrap for the minutes.
McInerney was Philadelphia’s leading scorer last year (8 goals) and clearly has good things ahead. But in the Union’s starting 11 Saturday in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic in Florida, Sebastien Le Toux and Conor Casey were the preferred forwards in coach John Hackworth’s 4-4-2.
A couple other points from Saturday’s contest:
- Newcomer Jeff Parke paired with Amobi Okugo centrally in defense, with Sheanon Williams and Gabriel Farfan on the outside and Brian Carroll protecting from midfield. None of that sounds too bad, does it?
- Hackworth praised the conditioning efforts of Saturday’s Union
goal scorerset-up man Roger Torres; last year, Hackworth called out the young attacker for flagging fitness.
- That 4-4-2 is interesting, considering Le Toux’s pace gives Hackworth the opportunity to deploy the Frenchman a little wider in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. McInerney could conceivably play wider, too. Michael Farfan, who had such a breakout year in 2012, would set up as the offensive string-puller in whatever formation Hackworth chooses.
The Philadelphia Union’s starting lineup: Zach MacMath, Gabriel Farfan, Amobi Okugo, Jeff Parke, Sheanon Williams, Brian Carroll, Keon Daniel, Michael Farfan, Danny Cruz, Sebastien Le Toux, Conor Casey.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
The Manchester United boss proves that even Premier League training sessions sometimes echo your experiences on a youth travel team.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Reds striker spends some times with the NBCSN broadcast crew during Liverpool and AS Roma’s ‘Football at Fenway’
Jul 24, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The Ecuadorian star winger, 24, joins Gylfi Sigurdsson and Bafetimbi Gomis as players to beef up Garry Monk’s attack
Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center
Jul 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Well, this sounds nice…
Jul 24, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The growing mess in Israel carried over onto the soccer fields of Austria, where Maccabi Haifa played a preseason friendly against Lille.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Almost 90,000 fans in Los Angeles watched Manchester United put an old-fashioned punking on their hosts. And then both sides reacted.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Surely one of these clubs enjoyed the sweeter side of this deal and here we set out to see who it was.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Despite starting only 12 Premier League matches last year, James Milner has decided to remain at Manchester City and fight for his place.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Catch the San Jose Earthquakes and Chicago Fire live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra tonight at 10:30pm ET.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
In a relaxed match featuring over forty players, the difference came in the 89th minute as Marco Borriello knocked home a corner.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Rijeka have come forward to say they “clearly and unequivocally reject” City’s allegation of racism.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Beasley signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Dynamo and becomes the club’s third Designated Player.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Catch Liverpool and AS Roma live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra tonight at 7:00pm ET.
Jul 23, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann has long coveted Zelalem and the 17-year old looks to be next in line to don the Stars & Stripes.
Jul 23, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
According to Fuchs, Germany and France would be happy to take over if needed.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Sigurdsson, who scored seven goals during a loan spell with Swansea in 2011/12, returns at the Liberty after two seasons at Spurs.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Can the Spanish international be a success at Chelsea? You bet.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
Is there anything Balotelli can’t do?
Jul 23, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Will Lampard be suiting up at Yankee Stadium for NYC FC next season? We find out Thursday…
Jul 23, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
What would your school look like as a professional soccer team?
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 0
- Pro-Palestinian protestors attack Israeli players on pitch in Austria 2
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 7
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 4
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1