Feb 11, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
On top of Sunday reports that a Sept. 10 World Cup qualifier was bound for Columbus, SI.com’s Grant Wahl says today that Salt Lake City, Kansas City and Seattle are also leaders for coming matches in the final round of regional play.
Citing an unnamed source, here is how Wahl says things might break:
The first U.S. final round World Cup qualifier at home is set for Denver (March 22 against Costa Rica.)
Let’s discuss the others (as we hope that U.S. Soccer gets these things singed and sealed so we can all move on):
- If CenturyLink Field in Seattle is indeed awarded a match, that indicates a significant shift in U.S. Soccer thinking. Previously, the federation seemed dead-set against the idea of a home match on artificial turf (or on one of the notoriously sketchy temporary grass fields covering the fake stuff.)
- Salt Lake City has served the purpose quite well over the last two qualifying cycles, with important wins at Rice-Eccles Stadium en route to Germany 2006 and at Rio Tinto Stadium on the road to South Africa 2010. Both matches were well-attended.
- Mexico at Crew Stadium? Yup. Hits the perfect note.
- The United States is likely to need a result down the wire, so Sporting Park in Kansas City as the venue to face Jamaica would be a great choice. The Americans have positive, recently created memories of the place. They went into Kansas City last fall knowing they quite possibly needed a win or draw against Guatemala and got one fairly easily – after an early Guatemalan goal, that is. The United States punched its ticket into the final round of qualifying that night.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
The league’s second round kicks off at Villa Park and ends with the main event on Merseyside.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
List of things Cristiano Ronaldo can’t do: Throw a proper punch.
Aug 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Dallas is undefeated since May, while RSL has a chance to temporarily move clear atop the Western Conference.
Aug 22, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
Dallas versus Real Salt Lake, Sporting hosting D.C. see the conferences’ best go head-to-head.
Aug 22, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
Early Mandzukic goal gives Atlético its fifth trophy under Simeone.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Toffees and Gunners clash, Liverpool head to Man City, London derby time and much more.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Goal, assist from Dutch star helped deliver Bayern three points to open the Bundesliga season.
Aug 22, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Can Villa continue their good start to the season? Watch live, Saturday 7:45 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Aug 22, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Birmingham City, 1860 Munich, Millwall, Nurnberg… it seems Brek Shea is a man in demand when it comes to his loan from Stoke City.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
The Bavarians added Robert Lewandowski, and look poised to lead again. Who are the favorites to emerge in the race for second?
Aug 22, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Matchweek 2 brings a few killer games including Everton v. Arsenal on Saturday and Manchester City v. Liverpool on Monday.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
From the early days in Italy, to the craziness of Man City and then back to AC Milan, here’s the timeline of Balotelli’s life so far.
Aug 22, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
The 19-year-old American attacker’s only senior appearance for Bayern was a Champions League sub. That could change today.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Probably not, but with Sevilla and Barcelona strengthening while Atletico deals with roster tumult, look for some changes near the top.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
PSV Eindhoven called the police, upping the ante on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
Aug 22, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game in Week 2, right here.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
A young Brazilian is the newest name linked with Louis van Gaal, while Manchester City could be selling a top young defender
Aug 22, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Jones wants to head to Chicago, and wants more money if he goes to New England.
Aug 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
Nantes is off to another strong start, and Ale Bedoya’s club now stares down a match-up with Monaco.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Labeling vile statements in text messages “friendly banter” has Cardiff in a frenzy, and looking for fresh consequences.
- MLS Weekend Preview: Trio of marque marquee matches begins Friday in Frisco 0
- Early Mandzukic goal sees Atlético defeat Real Madrid, claim Spanish Super Cup 1
- Robben dominance, Malanda miss give Bayern opening match win over Wolfsburg 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: United to get it right, Arsenal to stumble 2
- Profile: The life and times of Mario Balotelli 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 2 0