Feb 11, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
David Beckham will join his Paris Saint-Germain teammates in Spain for Tuesday’s Round of 16 Champions League clash with Valencia – but only for preening and picture snapping, apparently.
PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed Monday that Beckham, signed almost two weeks ago by the Paris club, will travel with the team but will not be part of 22-man roster for Tuesday’s match at Estadio Mestalla.
Ancelotti cited the Englishman’s fitness as the reason. It must be a real concern seeing as the team is a little light on A-list choices; Thiago Silva and Thiago Motta are both out with thigh injuries, although PSG’s bench is certainly deep enough.
In fact, Ancelotti says Beckham does not appear fit enough to feature this weekend as PSG returns to Ligue 1 play at Sochaux.
What Ancelotti told French newspaper L’Equipe when asked about Beckham’s potential debut contest:
Against Marseille I think. We will see in the coming days but maybe he will be a bit on the short side for the Sochaux game.”
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes