Feb 11, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
David Beckham will join his Paris Saint-Germain teammates in Spain for Tuesday’s Round of 16 Champions League clash with Valencia – but only for preening and picture snapping, apparently.
PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed Monday that Beckham, signed almost two weeks ago by the Paris club, will travel with the team but will not be part of 22-man roster for Tuesday’s match at Estadio Mestalla.
Ancelotti cited the Englishman’s fitness as the reason. It must be a real concern seeing as the team is a little light on A-list choices; Thiago Silva and Thiago Motta are both out with thigh injuries, although PSG’s bench is certainly deep enough.
In fact, Ancelotti says Beckham does not appear fit enough to feature this weekend as PSG returns to Ligue 1 play at Sochaux.
What Ancelotti told French newspaper L’Equipe when asked about Beckham’s potential debut contest:
Against Marseille I think. We will see in the coming days but maybe he will be a bit on the short side for the Sochaux game.”
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 4
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0