Feb 11, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
David Beckham will join his Paris Saint-Germain teammates in Spain for Tuesday’s Round of 16 Champions League clash with Valencia – but only for preening and picture snapping, apparently.
PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed Monday that Beckham, signed almost two weeks ago by the Paris club, will travel with the team but will not be part of 22-man roster for Tuesday’s match at Estadio Mestalla.
Ancelotti cited the Englishman’s fitness as the reason. It must be a real concern seeing as the team is a little light on A-list choices; Thiago Silva and Thiago Motta are both out with thigh injuries, although PSG’s bench is certainly deep enough.
In fact, Ancelotti says Beckham does not appear fit enough to feature this weekend as PSG returns to Ligue 1 play at Sochaux.
What Ancelotti told French newspaper L’Equipe when asked about Beckham’s potential debut contest:
Against Marseille I think. We will see in the coming days but maybe he will be a bit on the short side for the Sochaux game.”
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 0
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 3
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)