Feb 11, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
David Beckham will join his Paris Saint-Germain teammates in Spain for Tuesday’s Round of 16 Champions League clash with Valencia – but only for preening and picture snapping, apparently.
PSG coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed Monday that Beckham, signed almost two weeks ago by the Paris club, will travel with the team but will not be part of 22-man roster for Tuesday’s match at Estadio Mestalla.
Ancelotti cited the Englishman’s fitness as the reason. It must be a real concern seeing as the team is a little light on A-list choices; Thiago Silva and Thiago Motta are both out with thigh injuries, although PSG’s bench is certainly deep enough.
In fact, Ancelotti says Beckham does not appear fit enough to feature this weekend as PSG returns to Ligue 1 play at Sochaux.
What Ancelotti told French newspaper L’Equipe when asked about Beckham’s potential debut contest:
Against Marseille I think. We will see in the coming days but maybe he will be a bit on the short side for the Sochaux game.”
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 0
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 4
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 5
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4