Does DaMarcus Beasley have something left to offer the United States national team?

Feb 11, 2013, 7:55 AM EDT

APER SOC BEASLEY

Anyone else find themselves wondering if DaMarcus Beasley might have a second U.S. national team life in him?

As Jurgen Klinsmann scans the depth pool for some missing width in his attack, the U.S. manager certainly might find himself doing just that.

Beasley is, after all, only 30. He just seems a little older because he was so young that day in 2002, when then-U.S. coach Bruce Arena informed the wiry winger he would be starting the next day in the World Cup opener against Portugal. All you good, sweet, clean U.S. Soccer supporters know exactly what happened next.

Beasley is still getting the job done in a good league, Liga MX in Mexico. In spurts, at least.

He came off the bench to score twice over the weekend in Puebla’s 3-1 win over San Luis.  Beasley has started four of Puebla’s six matches in the current season.

Beasley might not be the final solution for Klinsmann along the left, but he might be a better option than Eddie Johnson. The Seattle Sounders striker has that fish out of water look when stationed out wide; he’s most effective when asked to play closer to goal.

Until Brek Shea, now at Stoke City, gets his game together, or until Chris Pontius or someone else makes a big breakthrough along the left side in the U.S. depth pool, Klinsmann could probably do worse than Beasley.

Beasley isn’t that far removed from the national team scene; remember, Klinsmann summoned him just last August for the U.S. friendly against Mexico. Beasley played the final 45 minutes in that historic win at Azteca.

A complete roundup of U.S. internationals in Liga MX is here from MLSSoccer.com.

1. jstreatf - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I have always liked Beasley and am really excited to see this career rebirth! I had to be at work that day when US put 3 in against Portugal and was forced to “watch” in disbelief on the BBC match tracker.

I guess it was the internet equivalent of England fans in 1950 thinking the miracle match report was telegraph typo (England must have won 10-1, right?).

This article got me thinking about where the current crop of nats rank on our all-time list? Why doesnt Beasley get more respect than he does as a trailblazer to Europe? Castrol put out a Starting XI (http://tinyurl.com/abgaewu) and I tried my hand at my own XI-who got it right?

2. charliej11 - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I don’t think that Eddie is the problem. I don’t know that I would play him where JK has him, but I thought he played ok there. A great ball to Jozy who didn’t do enough with it. He was there to score if Clint didn’t also. If you are looking for more D, then maybe think of going a different direction, but going for less dangerous with a team that barely created any chances ? I wouldn’t.

3. whordy - Feb 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Based on that, Beasley should not only be called up he should be starting.

• cornet76 - Feb 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

whordy

“I think he should be called up indefinitely until more wingers in the pool prove themselves.”

DMB still has something to prove.I love Demarcus but I’ve watched him his entire USMNT career and when he is on he’s great but when he is off he is beyond horrible.

“It’s embarrassing that JK is so willing to use deep lying playmakers, or target men, as his wide threat. It’s asinine and a major part of the problem.”

You embarrass easily. EJ is not a target man. He’s a striker who is willing to take on people. He’s also fast. He looked good doing that against Honduras. And he did not just stay out on the wing. I thought pulling him was a mistake as he was beginning to look dangerous.

“Based on that, Beasley should not only be called up he should be starting.”

Beasley probably deserves a look but he’s not a winger per se. He’s a left footed attacking midfielder who can get out on the wing and is likely to show up anywhere on the field. If you watched the Honduras game that was pretty much what EJ did. And I’m not sure, at this point, who is fitter and faster, EJ or DMB.

• crnelson10 - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

For the most part, I agree with this. I think EJ is serviceable on the wings, especially when he has the chance to dribble at defenders. With that said though, I’ve always seen DMB as a left footed Landon Donovan with a little bit less creativity/vision. He’s every bit as much of a winger as Donovan, and while that isn’t so much a pure chalk on the boots winger like maybe Shea or Gatt, it’s much more of a winger than EJ, no disrespect to him.

4. mrstev - Feb 11, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I think I’d fancy DMB at left back. The guy can actually defend pretty well…anybody?

Week 4: Saturday recap