Feb 11, 2013, 7:55 AM EDT
Anyone else find themselves wondering if DaMarcus Beasley might have a second U.S. national team life in him?
As Jurgen Klinsmann scans the depth pool for some missing width in his attack, the U.S. manager certainly might find himself doing just that.
Beasley is, after all, only 30. He just seems a little older because he was so young that day in 2002, when then-U.S. coach Bruce Arena informed the wiry winger he would be starting the next day in the World Cup opener against Portugal. All you good, sweet, clean U.S. Soccer supporters know exactly what happened next.
Beasley is still getting the job done in a good league, Liga MX in Mexico. In spurts, at least.
He came off the bench to score twice over the weekend in Puebla’s 3-1 win over San Luis. Beasley has started four of Puebla’s six matches in the current season.
Beasley might not be the final solution for Klinsmann along the left, but he might be a better option than Eddie Johnson. The Seattle Sounders striker has that fish out of water look when stationed out wide; he’s most effective when asked to play closer to goal.
Until Brek Shea, now at Stoke City, gets his game together, or until Chris Pontius or someone else makes a big breakthrough along the left side in the U.S. depth pool, Klinsmann could probably do worse than Beasley.
Beasley isn’t that far removed from the national team scene; remember, Klinsmann summoned him just last August for the U.S. friendly against Mexico. Beasley played the final 45 minutes in that historic win at Azteca.
A complete roundup of U.S. internationals in Liga MX is here from MLSSoccer.com.
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 2
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2