Feb 11, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
For such a talented, versatile and hard-working player, Eric Alexander is having a hard time establishing MLS stability.
The 24-year-old midfielder is on the move to his third MLS club, the New York Red Bulls. He was traded from Portland for allocation money (amounts are never disclosed in trades.)
Alexander was an important piece of Dallas’ 2010 MLS Cup runner-up, filling in admirably at central midfield or along the outside in his rookie season. He was playing regularly in 2011 but traded in mid-season to the Timbers. (FCD got Jeremy Hall in the trade; he started twice and was traded to New York a few months later.)
Alexander led the Timbers in assists (six) last year despite starting just 14 matches. He’s a solid two-way midfielder, good in the tackle and not bad in possession.
Presumably, the Timbers would have liked to keep such a versatile and inexpensive man, even if he wasn’t a perfect fit for the 4-3-3 that new manager Caleb Porter wants to play.
But the allocation money (whatever it was) can be used to help Porter find a center back, still the team’s vulnerable spot. Former Manchester United man Mikael Silvestre, currently out of contract but training with the Timbers, could surely help stabilize the position, but even at age 35 the former French international won’t come cheap.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season