Feb 11, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
Portland owner Merritt Paulson got the Timbers Army attention this morning by Tweet-teasing about some player news this week.
It was after news of the Eric Alexander trade – and it all makes sense in context. Shipping Alexander to New York for allocation money certainly had that “first-shoe look” about it. As in, there was another one about to drop, most likely a player who will lean toward the higher end of the salary scale.
The assumption would have been that Former Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre would be the man; the Timbers have a need and reports out of Arizona last week suggested that the former French international, now 35, had made a reasonable account.
But then this …
If the part about remaining in Arizona is true, then the speculation might turn toward New York, Seattle, New England and Real Salt Lake, all of which are in Tucson this week. New York is reasonably well-stocked with Markus Holgersson and Jamison Olave, plus Heath Pearce available to slide over from the left without much (or perhaps any) drop in quality.
Seattle, New England or RSL? Silvestre could potentially improve the center back scene, assuming he hasn’t lost too much speed from his many, many days at Old Trafford.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 2
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls