Feb 11, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Quick, somebody call Bruce Arena, because he’s going to want see this. It’ll give the Galaxy boss a good giggle.
Remember how much trouble Arena and the Galaxy had keeping David Beckham tethered to the team in Los Angeles? Becks was always jet-setting across the mighty pond for his next photo shoot, highfalutin wedding or touchy-feely testimonial for one of his former Manchester United mates or whatever.
Heck, he couldn’t even be bothered to come into training camp on time last year, preferring to remain abroad and train with some other team. I mean, it was a good team, Tottenham. But still.
It always seemed disrespectful, as if Galaxy and MLS were piddling distractions to Brand Beckham and all that it implies.
Arena and the Galaxy management always played nice in public, but you just know it drove Arena up the Home Depot Center wall. They may have understood that Beckham is Beckham and that his planet spins on a different axis, but the bottom line cannot be disputed: transcontinental travel rather than proper rest and training was bound to be unhelpful to the team’s competitive pursuits, at the very least.
Any-who, all of this is to say, Arena will surely have a little smile when he hears that Beckham, not PSG’s talented trouble child, is pulling the same mess with his new team.
A day before PSG manager Carlo Ancelotti revealed that Beckham’s fitness isn’t what it needs to be, we find out one reason why.
Beckham wasn’t even there working on it all weekend. Rather, he was in New York for Fashion Week.
The picture above is from the Victoria Beckham Show on Sunday. (He is seated next to Vogue magazine editor Anna Wintour.) This is from a story just posted on the The Los Angeles Times website:
Victoria Beckham, newly relocated from Los Angeles back to her home in London, presented her fall-winter 2013 fashion collection at the New York Public Library on Sunday morning. The crowd included her hunky hubbie David Beckham …
So, let me get this right. Beckham spent six years on the look-out for his next chance to get out of the States and back over to Europe. Now he can’t wait to get back into the United States!
Beckham has yet to train with his new club, this report says.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear