Feb 11, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Quick, somebody call Bruce Arena, because he’s going to want see this. It’ll give the Galaxy boss a good giggle.
Remember how much trouble Arena and the Galaxy had keeping David Beckham tethered to the team in Los Angeles? Becks was always jet-setting across the mighty pond for his next photo shoot, highfalutin wedding or touchy-feely testimonial for one of his former Manchester United mates or whatever.
Heck, he couldn’t even be bothered to come into training camp on time last year, preferring to remain abroad and train with some other team. I mean, it was a good team, Tottenham. But still.
It always seemed disrespectful, as if Galaxy and MLS were piddling distractions to Brand Beckham and all that it implies.
Arena and the Galaxy management always played nice in public, but you just know it drove Arena up the Home Depot Center wall. They may have understood that Beckham is Beckham and that his planet spins on a different axis, but the bottom line cannot be disputed: transcontinental travel rather than proper rest and training was bound to be unhelpful to the team’s competitive pursuits, at the very least.
Any-who, all of this is to say, Arena will surely have a little smile when he hears that Beckham, not PSG’s talented trouble child, is pulling the same mess with his new team.
A day before PSG manager Carlo Ancelotti revealed that Beckham’s fitness isn’t what it needs to be, we find out one reason why.
Beckham wasn’t even there working on it all weekend. Rather, he was in New York for Fashion Week.
The picture above is from the Victoria Beckham Show on Sunday. (He is seated next to Vogue magazine editor Anna Wintour.) This is from a story just posted on the The Los Angeles Times website:
Victoria Beckham, newly relocated from Los Angeles back to her home in London, presented her fall-winter 2013 fashion collection at the New York Public Library on Sunday morning. The crowd included her hunky hubbie David Beckham …
So, let me get this right. Beckham spent six years on the look-out for his next chance to get out of the States and back over to Europe. Now he can’t wait to get back into the United States!
Beckham has yet to train with his new club, this report says.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team