Feb 12, 2013, 9:11 AM EST
There are two pressure points adding a little extra twist to yesterday’s news that Toronto FC goalkeeper Stefan Frei will require surgery to repair a broken nose.
TFC’s No. 1 was injured in Saturday’s 1-0 loss to Columbus Crew at the ongoing Disney Pro Soccer Classic in Orlando.
First is the team’s recent trade of quality goalkeeper Milos Kocic to Portland. It’s hard to criticize the decision, as two starting quality goalkeepers is hard to justify on an MLS roster given the restrictive salary cap. If he had not done so before, Kocic proved had had starter’s stuff during year-long fill-in duty in 2012.
The length of absence is undetermined. Last year, with Kocic in reserve, that would be of little worry. But now it’s on Joe Bendik, who has yet to prove his MLS chops. Bendik, 23, had three league starts as Portland’s backup last year.
The other pressure point here is Toronto’s fragile spot and how a little flagging form from the team’s goalkeeper might affect it. New manager Ryan Nelsen will need a good start to boost confidence around a club that can’t be expected to have much, a team that remains on the hunt for its first playoff berth.
Frei may well return in time for the Reds’ March 2 opener at Vancouver. But missing time in the interim – we are now 18 days from MLS first kick – is hardly ideal for a man who missed almost the entire previous campaign, as Frei did with a broken leg.
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014