Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
Ahead of today’s Champions League contest at Celtic Park, legendary Italian and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon is voicing what we all might be wondering: What is the effect on Celtic of losing those bitterly contest, heart-hardening, character-building rivalry matches with Rangers?
The stunning financial collapse of Celtic’s historic antagonist – the Celtic-Rangers matchup is truly one of the world’s showpieces when it comes to contentious rivalries in the game – has stripped away the very contests that serve to steel the men in the famous green and white.
Buffon talked about the “peculiar situation” at yesterday’s news conference prior to today’s contest at Celtic Park.
He certainly has a point. Celtic’s 18-point lead in the Scottish Premier League is no surprise. (Once again underlining the odd disparity that rules Scotland’s top tier league, but that’s another story.)
Neil Lennon’s team is rarely, truly stretched in SPL matches. Since a 1-0 loss to Hibernian to finish calendar 2012, Celtic has won its five subsequent SPL contests by a combined score of 16-3.
This is a very peculiar situation this year,’ he said, when asked about the absence of Old Firm games in Scotland. It would change from player to player, not having the psychological impact of so many high-tension matches. We often have high-pressure matches and, if you don’t for two or three weeks, you can let your guard down and it is very difficult to get that level of tension back again.”
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''