Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry spoke up yesterday on recent incidents of racism. The Red Bulls star, made famous through his fabled days at Arsenal and on some wonderful versions of the French national team, says point deductions might be the only way to properly punish clubs and their fans.
He stopped short of saying leagues and governing bodies should definitely do so, but believes it should be considered, at least.
Obviously, I am not in charge of this type of decision. That’s the only way. Because you would find normally that fans do care about that. If you do take points away, that can be pretty massive [for teams] that want to win the title. I do think that can be something that can be done.”
When pressed on whether that is truly fair, considering that minority factions are frequently responsible for the ugly stuff, Henry pressed on.
It’s hard. But if I tell you that if you don’t behave well, your team might lose the game … you might stop. I’m not saying you will stop, but you might stop. Because at the end of the day, we are all there for the team, for the club.”
Here’s the interview with Michelle Beadle and Dave Briggs:
(Oh, he also addresses “butt doubles.” Yes, a butt double.)
.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)