Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry spoke up yesterday on recent incidents of racism. The Red Bulls star, made famous through his fabled days at Arsenal and on some wonderful versions of the French national team, says point deductions might be the only way to properly punish clubs and their fans.
He stopped short of saying leagues and governing bodies should definitely do so, but believes it should be considered, at least.
Obviously, I am not in charge of this type of decision. That’s the only way. Because you would find normally that fans do care about that. If you do take points away, that can be pretty massive [for teams] that want to win the title. I do think that can be something that can be done.”
When pressed on whether that is truly fair, considering that minority factions are frequently responsible for the ugly stuff, Henry pressed on.
It’s hard. But if I tell you that if you don’t behave well, your team might lose the game … you might stop. I’m not saying you will stop, but you might stop. Because at the end of the day, we are all there for the team, for the club.”
Here’s the interview with Michelle Beadle and Dave Briggs:
(Oh, he also addresses “butt doubles.” Yes, a butt double.)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 0
- Three MLS sides chasing Carlton Cole? 0
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte