Feb 13, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
U.S. striker Abby Wambach is good at so very many things.
Clearly she’s a great scorer and terrific all around soccer player. You don’t get to be FIFA Player of the Year just by managing to be a pretty good player. Teammates have talked for years about her further abilities as a leader, role model and all-around good person to be around.
The one thing she’s not so great at: talking about herself.
C’mon, Abby. Toot your own horn a little! You are about to join the exclusive U.S. 200 Club, the list of women with 200 appearances for the United States national team.
She should get that cap tonight against Scotland at LP Field in Nashville. What Wambach said ahead of the accomplishment:
There’s so many great players in this country, and a lot of it does kind of fall down to a coach’s opinion for better or for worse. I’ve had really great coaches that really believed in me and put me on the field and gave me the responsibility of scoring goals for this team for a lot of years. That’s a responsibility I take very seriously. Two hundred, 100, whatever we’re talking about, if we’re winning that game, that’s the most important thing for me.”
Kristine Lilly is the all-time caps leader with 352, followed by Christie Rampone’s 278.
Since Wambach isn’t so great at talking about herself, here’s what The Washington Post says about tonight’s looming accomplishment.
- Champions League final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte