Feb 13, 2013, 8:32 AM EDT
What we have tonight in Nashville with the U.S. women’s national team are U.S. attackers at all ends of the career arc.
There is esteemed veteran Abby Wambach, who is expected to gain her 200th cap against Scotland. (Yes, the same Scotland that fell just last Saturday to the United States in Jacksonville. Consider this the “second leg.”)
We’ll circle back later for more on Wambach joining the exclusive U.S. 200 Club.
We have Alex Morgan, who may not be sitting on top of the women’s soccer world just yet. Then again, she’s still just 23. Give her time!
Then we have Christen Press (pictured), who scored two goals Saturday in her first U.S. appearance. So choosing your favorite U.S. women’s attacker is not easy business. Good luck with all that.
Then again, you can have as many “favorites” as you really like. U.S. manager Tom Sermanni has to be a little more choosy in sorting out a balanced lineup.
What he said about where Press might play on the field. (Press was in the midfield last week but can also play forward):
It’s hard to say. When you look at a team, you’ve got many talented players in both outside midfield and forward. It’s a question having lots of depth in those striking areas with those forward players. The more tools she can bring, the more opportunities she might get. I think she did well playing in that wide right midfield position. I think probably she might still be a better out and out striker.”
Tonight’s match at LP Field in Nashville kicks off at 8 p.m. ET. It can be seen on a live stream through USSoccer.com.
And from domestic soccer governing body, here are the highlights from Saturday’s win:
- International Champions Cup: Schedule revealed as Chelsea, Manchester United take on MLS sides 1
- After Bournemouth all but seal Premier League place, here’s some other minnows to make the top-flight 0
- Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez calls Real Madrid “best team in the world” 1
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Liverpool 1
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0