Feb 13, 2013, 12:57 AM EST
Copa Libertadores started in earnest on Tuesday. Sure, there were 10 play-in ties that rounded out the group stage field, but today in Montevideo, South America’s Champions League began proper.
And there’s no better way to start a tournament than with a golazo. Here is Barcelona (Ecuador) attacking midfielder Damián Diaz giving his side an early lead against Uruguayan power Nacional:
If the video’s not working for you, you missed Diaz striding up to a ball left bouncing after an aerial duel just outside Nacional’s penalty area. Hitting a looper over Nacional’s Jorge Bava, Diaz puts home a nice 22-yard strike that ushers in this year’s group stage.
Barcelona added a second goal eight minutes later to take a surprise lead on their hosts, but second half goals from Sebastian ‘Loco’ Abreu and former Toluca star Ivan Alonso salvaged a draw for the Uruguayans.
There were two other matches on Copa Lib’s Tuesday calendar. Universidad de Chile from Sebastian Ubilla to cruise past Venezuela’s Deportivo Lara, 2-0. In Ecuador, Facundo Ferreyra’s own goal put Argentina’s Velez Sarsfield down at Emelec. When defender Fernando Tobio saw straight red 12 minutes later, Emelec had all they needed for a 1-0 victory.
Copa Lib continues on Wednesday with a blockbuster. Ronaldinho’s Atlético Mineiro hosting one of the most talented clubs on the continent. Fellow Campeonato side Sao Paulo will likely start a team that includes Luis Fabiano, Lucio, Paulo Henrique Ganso, Jadson, and Denilson.
Also on the schedule: Uruguayan titans Peñarol visiting Chile’s Deportes Iquique; Boca Juniors (unlikely to play the newly re-signed Juan Roman Riquelme) hosting Toluca; Fluminese making the long trip to Venezuela to face Caracas; and Peruvians Real Atlético Garcilaso hosting Carlos Valdes and Santa Fe.
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 0
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 0
- Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS 7
- USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup 1
- Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Ivory Coast, Cameroon in 1-1 draws as Group D up for grabs 0