Feb 13, 2013, 12:57 AM EST
Copa Libertadores started in earnest on Tuesday. Sure, there were 10 play-in ties that rounded out the group stage field, but today in Montevideo, South America’s Champions League began proper.
And there’s no better way to start a tournament than with a golazo. Here is Barcelona (Ecuador) attacking midfielder Damián Diaz giving his side an early lead against Uruguayan power Nacional:
If the video’s not working for you, you missed Diaz striding up to a ball left bouncing after an aerial duel just outside Nacional’s penalty area. Hitting a looper over Nacional’s Jorge Bava, Diaz puts home a nice 22-yard strike that ushers in this year’s group stage.
Barcelona added a second goal eight minutes later to take a surprise lead on their hosts, but second half goals from Sebastian ‘Loco’ Abreu and former Toluca star Ivan Alonso salvaged a draw for the Uruguayans.
There were two other matches on Copa Lib’s Tuesday calendar. Universidad de Chile from Sebastian Ubilla to cruise past Venezuela’s Deportivo Lara, 2-0. In Ecuador, Facundo Ferreyra’s own goal put Argentina’s Velez Sarsfield down at Emelec. When defender Fernando Tobio saw straight red 12 minutes later, Emelec had all they needed for a 1-0 victory.
Copa Lib continues on Wednesday with a blockbuster. Ronaldinho’s Atlético Mineiro hosting one of the most talented clubs on the continent. Fellow Campeonato side Sao Paulo will likely start a team that includes Luis Fabiano, Lucio, Paulo Henrique Ganso, Jadson, and Denilson.
Also on the schedule: Uruguayan titans Peñarol visiting Chile’s Deportes Iquique; Boca Juniors (unlikely to play the newly re-signed Juan Roman Riquelme) hosting Toluca; Fluminese making the long trip to Venezuela to face Caracas; and Peruvians Real Atlético Garcilaso hosting Carlos Valdes and Santa Fe.
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit