Feb 13, 2013, 1:52 PM EST
According to reports out of Ukraine, a plane carrying 44 passengers from Odessa to Donetsk was forced into an emergency landing Wednesday evening. Four people are dead, with the status of two others unclear. Twelve people were injured.
The plane, a twin-engined Antonov 24 turbopop, overshot the runway in Donetsk. When it attempted to execute an emergency landing, the plane turned over and broke apart. Donetsk was reportedly “shrouding in fog” during the aircraft’s approach.
Emergency personnel from Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev International Airport were immediately dispatched, with surviving passengers transported back to the facility.
Regional governor Andriy Shyshatsky:
“The large majority of passengers have been saved. At the moment, there are four dead. One person is visible in the wreckage, but we don’t yet know whether he is alive or not. We are searching for one other person …”
According to Dmytro Verbytsky, a passenger who spoke to press at the airport, the plane was full of fans on their way to the Donbass Arena for tonight’s UEFA Champions League match between Shakhtar Donetsk and German champions Borussia Dortmund.
The plane contained 37 passengers and eight crew members. Thirty-nine of the plane occupants have been rescued.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit