Feb 13, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
According to reports out of Ukraine, a plane carrying 44 passengers from Odessa to Donetsk was forced into an emergency landing Wednesday evening. Four people are dead, with the status of two others unclear. Twelve people were injured.
The plane, a twin-engined Antonov 24 turbopop, overshot the runway in Donetsk. When it attempted to execute an emergency landing, the plane turned over and broke apart. Donetsk was reportedly “shrouding in fog” during the aircraft’s approach.
Emergency personnel from Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev International Airport were immediately dispatched, with surviving passengers transported back to the facility.
Regional governor Andriy Shyshatsky:
“The large majority of passengers have been saved. At the moment, there are four dead. One person is visible in the wreckage, but we don’t yet know whether he is alive or not. We are searching for one other person …”
According to Dmytro Verbytsky, a passenger who spoke to press at the airport, the plane was full of fans on their way to the Donbass Arena for tonight’s UEFA Champions League match between Shakhtar Donetsk and German champions Borussia Dortmund.
The plane contained 37 passengers and eight crew members. Thirty-nine of the plane occupants have been rescued.
- Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool: Gerrard hits twice from the spot to send Reds second 0
- Premier League Preview: Title, Champions League races in focus in Sunday derbies 0
- MLS roundup: Sporting, RSL drawn late; Houston perfect after two 1
- Two late goals from Victor Bernardez leave Real Salt Lake “goonied” at San Jose 0
- Late goal from FC Dallas earns draw in Kansas City; Sporting’s attack suffering while squad rotates 0
- Five takeaways from Toronto’s 2-1 win over the Seattle Sounders 2
- VIDEO: Corinthians Hold Their First Practice at Arena de Sao Paulo
- Seven out of Top 10 Most Famous Brazilians Ever are Soccer Players
- Earthquakes Draw with RSL in 6-Goal Thriller
- Revs' Struggles at PPL Park Remain Intact Following Loss to Union
- D.C. United 2014 Roster Preview: The Defenders Edition
- Rooney Looks to Improve Partnership with RVP Ahead of Liverpool Clash
- Bruin Continues Hot Start, Dynamo Down Impact 1-0
- Red Bulls Don't Complain About Penalty Kick Call
- Liga MX Round-Up: Cruz Azul Back to Top Spot
- Olympiakos Win Their 41st Superleague Title