Feb 13, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
According to reports out of Ukraine, a plane carrying 44 passengers from Odessa to Donetsk was forced into an emergency landing Wednesday evening. Four people are dead, with the status of two others unclear. Twelve people were injured.
The plane, a twin-engined Antonov 24 turbopop, overshot the runway in Donetsk. When it attempted to execute an emergency landing, the plane turned over and broke apart. Donetsk was reportedly “shrouding in fog” during the aircraft’s approach.
Emergency personnel from Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev International Airport were immediately dispatched, with surviving passengers transported back to the facility.
Regional governor Andriy Shyshatsky:
“The large majority of passengers have been saved. At the moment, there are four dead. One person is visible in the wreckage, but we don’t yet know whether he is alive or not. We are searching for one other person …”
According to Dmytro Verbytsky, a passenger who spoke to press at the airport, the plane was full of fans on their way to the Donbass Arena for tonight’s UEFA Champions League match between Shakhtar Donetsk and German champions Borussia Dortmund.
The plane contained 37 passengers and eight crew members. Thirty-nine of the plane occupants have been rescued.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes