Feb 14, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
TUCSON, Ariz. – A ridiculously quick 2-0 lead – “Quick” as in three minutes! – may not have been surprising considering the starting lineups in Wednesday’s second contest in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Real Salt Lake’s B team was up against Thierry Henry and the rest of the Red Bulls top choices, after all. But how about this for a preseason kick in the head: it was the reservists from RSL who took that jaw-dropping early margin.
By the end the Red Bulls had made up, controlling the game as you would expect after those early wobbles and seeing out a 2-2 draw. But who cares about results? Here is what we can take away from Wednesday’s match in the surprising cold desert:
- Jason Kreis wants to begin building the team’s weekly routine. Hence the choice to roll out a second-choice lineup. Saturday’s contest against Seattle will see the first-teamers start.
- Red Bulls manager Mike Petke (pictured) wants to play in a 4-2-3-1 this year. New York’s starting lineup looked like this: Santiago Castano. Brandon Barklage, Markus Holgersson, Jamison Olave, Connor Lade, Dax McCarty, Juninho; Lloyd Sam, Tim Cahill, Thierry Henry; Fabian Espindola.
- Thierry Henry played alongside the left, which was interesting to watch. He was more or less having his way against RSL young defense; things will surely be harder when the real shin-kicking starts. Still, having Henry operate in space, more or less as a left-sided playmaker has something interesting about it. It looked just a little like his old Arsenal days, when the fab Frenchman tended to drift left in Arsene Wenger’s alignment.
- Petke has one conundrum, it seems: Where to play Juninho, the team’s veteran (let’s call him veteran-plus) Brazilian midfielder. He was next to Dax McCarty on Wednesday and paled him comparison to his ginger central midfield mate. While McCarty was his usual busy self, winning balls, linking the play, always involved, etc., Juninho was rarely involved. At all.
- Clearly, a 38-year-old midfielder doesn’t want to waste too much energy in a preseason exhibition. Still, Juninho’s ability to cover ground and willingness to tackle and otherwise be involved seemed alarmingly sluggish.
- Cahill played behind Fabian Espindola in the 4-2-3-1. I’ll know more when I talk to Petke today or tomorrow at a training, but it looks like the formation gives RBNY’s new manager a lot of flexibility. Espindola could play wider (he tended to drift wide in his RSL years anyway). Tim Cahill can play closer to goal. Henry is smart enough to play any of the positions. Which leaves Juninho …
- More match details are here from the Red Bulls side.
- Rich Balchan, formerly of Columbus and recently released from Chicago, is now in RSL camp. Balchan had some good matches in Columbus; not sure what the issue is, but the 24-year-old Indiana University man always seemed to have potential.
- Know how you can tell it’s preseason? Kreis, usually impeccably dressed along the sideline, was in jeans and an RSL jacket. I had to look twice to make sure it was him.
- As for the two early goals? Considering the Red Bulls top two goalkeepers (Luis Robles and Ryan Meara) were unavailable, it’s hard to be too concerned. The first goal, just seconds into the match, could possibly be linked to information being provided to Conor Lade on a back pass gone wrong.
May 17, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Wait a doggone minute! Didn’t Philadelphia and Chicago just play?
May 17, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Brest and FC Lorient will be the opposition for retiring midfielder’s final two pro matches:
May 17, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Something we should fold into the ongoing Landon Donovan-U.S. national team debate:
May 17, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
David Beckham has an option to purchase an MLS expansion franchise, and that has zero to do with Chivas USA:
May 17, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
We know that Major League Soccer’s All-Star match is headed to Sporting Park in Kansas City this year – but we remain in the dark about the opposition:
May 17, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
The second game is under appeal.
May 17, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
Coming off their first loss of the season, the Portland Thorns host the suddenly dangerous Washington Spirit.
May 17, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Can San Jose bounce back against a solid Colorado outfit?
May 17, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On the issue of lineup revealing and the timing thereof, they share a similar thought:
May 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Both teams putting their unbeaten streaks on the line, goals galore in Seattle?
May 17, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Could USMNT winger Brek Shea be in trouble after he was part of a prank that went horribly wrong?
May 17, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
Arch rivals Real and Atletico square off for silverware in the Spanish capital…which way will it go?
May 17, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
Watch every single goal Beckham scored in Major League Soccer, then let us know which one was the best.
May 17, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
Wigan’s manager has a tough decision to make, would moving away would be the correct one?
May 17, 2013, 9:23 AM EDT
Will Beckham now join PSG in an ambassadorial role? The race is on for Becks’ signature…post-soccer
May 17, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
The Uruguayan striker speaks about his ambitions to play in MLS and his love for the USA.
May 17, 2013, 7:31 AM EDT
Worlds richest man looks set to buy ailing MLS franchise, is this the end for Chivas USA?
May 16, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
This is where the big upsets can happen, and who doesn’t love a big upset potential?
May 16, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Since every player who started the last two World Cup qualifiers for Jurgen Klinsmann was named to today’s roster, putting our arms around the lineups ahead shouldn’t be too tricky:
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago