Feb 14, 2013, 9:27 AM EDT
TUCSON, Ariz. – A ridiculously quick 2-0 lead – “Quick” as in three minutes! – may not have been surprising considering the starting lineups in Wednesday’s second contest in the Desert Diamond Cup.
Real Salt Lake’s B team was up against Thierry Henry and the rest of the Red Bulls top choices, after all. But how about this for a preseason kick in the head: it was the reservists from RSL who took that jaw-dropping early margin.
By the end the Red Bulls had made up, controlling the game as you would expect after those early wobbles and seeing out a 2-2 draw. But who cares about results? Here is what we can take away from Wednesday’s match in the surprising cold desert:
- Jason Kreis wants to begin building the team’s weekly routine. Hence the choice to roll out a second-choice lineup. Saturday’s contest against Seattle will see the first-teamers start.
- Red Bulls manager Mike Petke (pictured) wants to play in a 4-2-3-1 this year. New York’s starting lineup looked like this: Santiago Castano. Brandon Barklage, Markus Holgersson, Jamison Olave, Connor Lade, Dax McCarty, Juninho; Lloyd Sam, Tim Cahill, Thierry Henry; Fabian Espindola.
- Thierry Henry played alongside the left, which was interesting to watch. He was more or less having his way against RSL young defense; things will surely be harder when the real shin-kicking starts. Still, having Henry operate in space, more or less as a left-sided playmaker has something interesting about it. It looked just a little like his old Arsenal days, when the fab Frenchman tended to drift left in Arsene Wenger’s alignment.
- Petke has one conundrum, it seems: Where to play Juninho, the team’s veteran (let’s call him veteran-plus) Brazilian midfielder. He was next to Dax McCarty on Wednesday and paled him comparison to his ginger central midfield mate. While McCarty was his usual busy self, winning balls, linking the play, always involved, etc., Juninho was rarely involved. At all.
- Clearly, a 38-year-old midfielder doesn’t want to waste too much energy in a preseason exhibition. Still, Juninho’s ability to cover ground and willingness to tackle and otherwise be involved seemed alarmingly sluggish.
- Cahill played behind Fabian Espindola in the 4-2-3-1. I’ll know more when I talk to Petke today or tomorrow at a training, but it looks like the formation gives RBNY’s new manager a lot of flexibility. Espindola could play wider (he tended to drift wide in his RSL years anyway). Tim Cahill can play closer to goal. Henry is smart enough to play any of the positions. Which leaves Juninho …
- More match details are here from the Red Bulls side.
- Rich Balchan, formerly of Columbus and recently released from Chicago, is now in RSL camp. Balchan had some good matches in Columbus; not sure what the issue is, but the 24-year-old Indiana University man always seemed to have potential.
- Know how you can tell it’s preseason? Kreis, usually impeccably dressed along the sideline, was in jeans and an RSL jacket. I had to look twice to make sure it was him.
- As for the two early goals? Considering the Red Bulls top two goalkeepers (Luis Robles and Ryan Meara) were unavailable, it’s hard to be too concerned. The first goal, just seconds into the match, could possibly be linked to information being provided to Conor Lade on a back pass gone wrong.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The midfielder is yet to make a Premier League start this season as rumors surfaced that he could return to Brazil on loan.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Chicago ended their season with a win as Florent Sinama-Pongolle tallied in stoppage time to erase Houston’s first half lead.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
The purpose of the show is for the Robbies to hear from the fans on this call-in show, so dial 855-323-4622 and have your say.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0