Feb 14, 2013, 8:14 AM EST
TUCSON, Ariz. – Eddie Johnson and Brad Evans scored in their first preseason appearances with Seattle as the Sounders ran the show against New England in the desert.
Both teams field something that looked like their first-choice lineups in the opener of the Desert Diamond Cup.
Here is some of what we learned:
- Johnson scored a peach of a goal, working his way free on the left side, cruising into the penalty area and curling a ball into the upper corner. In all honesty, the collecting defending wasn’t very sharp, and an MLS starting forward – not to mention a U.S. international – needs to hit that shot when provided so much room. Still, it was pretty.
- New England midfielder Juan Toja was on the field for about 20 minutes, his first appearance on the preseason, having been slowed by injury. That’s the thing with Toja: it’s not a matter of talent, it’s a matter of keeping healthy enough to bit familiarity and fitness. Plus the issue of keeping a high salary when the New England midfield is fairly well stocked. So, we’ll see.
- These preseason games get overly combative more often than you would think. It is, after all, only preseason. Osvaldo Alonso’s bad tackle on New England left back Chris Tierney summoned up the first little push-and-shove fest. Later, Sainey Nyassi slid dangerously into March Burch, eliciting a little retaliatory slap from the Sounders defender. Both players were ejected.
- Hopefully the ankle injury to Tierney isn’t significant. He was playing quite well, making Mauro Rosales really work and providing a good push from his left back spot. New England officials say Tierney has had an excellent preseason so far.
- Best player in Revolution camp? Scott Caldwell is making a heck of a case. The 21-year-old Revolution academy product was slightly more defensive in the midfield set-up Wednesday, but is naturally a two-way central midfielder.
- Unlike Evans and Johnson, who came back sharp from their periods of international training and matches, Jerry Bengtson wasn’t much of a factor. The Revs striker (and Honduran international) needs to score for Jay Heaps’ team to make progress this year.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
Coming off of an ugly midweek loss to Monaco, Arsenal responded perfectly with a 2-0 win over Everton.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
The Stoke City midfielder needed 12-15 stitches in his calf after taking a challenge that manager Mark Hughes said could have ended his career.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:10 PM EST
The Argentinian winger was subbed out at halftime of Manchester United’s 2-0 win over Sunderland.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Playing in front of the back four due to Nemanja Matic’s absence, the 20-year-old French defender stood out to his boss.
Mar 1, 2015, 2:33 PM EST
He score two more goals, continuing the ridiculous stretch for Europe’s most in-form striker.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:52 PM EST
The USMNT regular scored his first club goal in over two years as Borussia Monchengladbach bounced back from a midweek Europa League disappointment.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:12 PM EST
The Liverpool manager was full of praise for his team after their high-energy performance against the defending champions.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
Mourinho wins first trophy of his second spell in charge of Chelsea.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Chelsea have the upper hand, but can they see off Spurs at Wembley? Follow play-by-play, here.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
The Manchester City boss gave props to Jordan Henderson and Philippe Coutinho, but threw his own players under the bus for not being able to hold onto the ball.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
From 12 p.m. ET on Sunday, watch the “Invincibles” documentary live online.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Olivier Giroud atoned for his misses midweek with the game’s only goal as Everton had little to offer.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
The Reds put in a stunning display, as City stumble yet again.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:01 AM EST
Copycat! A repeat of Jordan Henderson’s earlier strike saw the Brazilian down Manchester City late again, reminiscent of last year’s match.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened things up with a fabulous strike, and Philippe Coutinho copied the script with the late winner.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Per Mertesacker has been dropped following Arsenal’s Champions League disappointment midweek.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:59 AM EST
On Premier League Live, Robbie Mustoe says he believes Arsenal need a change at the top, a move that would surely send shockwaves throughout English soccer.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:33 AM EST
Jordan Henderson opened the scoring at Anfield with a stunning goal inside 15 minutes.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers starts with Raheem Sterling up front, but plenty of changes along his teamsheet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
18 teams in 13 games to wrap up the 2015 MLS preseason. Your one-stop shop for all the day’s action.
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 3
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4