Feb 14, 2013, 8:14 AM EDT
TUCSON, Ariz. – Eddie Johnson and Brad Evans scored in their first preseason appearances with Seattle as the Sounders ran the show against New England in the desert.
Both teams field something that looked like their first-choice lineups in the opener of the Desert Diamond Cup.
Here is some of what we learned:
- Johnson scored a peach of a goal, working his way free on the left side, cruising into the penalty area and curling a ball into the upper corner. In all honesty, the collecting defending wasn’t very sharp, and an MLS starting forward – not to mention a U.S. international – needs to hit that shot when provided so much room. Still, it was pretty.
- New England midfielder Juan Toja was on the field for about 20 minutes, his first appearance on the preseason, having been slowed by injury. That’s the thing with Toja: it’s not a matter of talent, it’s a matter of keeping healthy enough to bit familiarity and fitness. Plus the issue of keeping a high salary when the New England midfield is fairly well stocked. So, we’ll see.
- These preseason games get overly combative more often than you would think. It is, after all, only preseason. Osvaldo Alonso’s bad tackle on New England left back Chris Tierney summoned up the first little push-and-shove fest. Later, Sainey Nyassi slid dangerously into March Burch, eliciting a little retaliatory slap from the Sounders defender. Both players were ejected.
- Hopefully the ankle injury to Tierney isn’t significant. He was playing quite well, making Mauro Rosales really work and providing a good push from his left back spot. New England officials say Tierney has had an excellent preseason so far.
- Best player in Revolution camp? Scott Caldwell is making a heck of a case. The 21-year-old Revolution academy product was slightly more defensive in the midfield set-up Wednesday, but is naturally a two-way central midfielder.
- Unlike Evans and Johnson, who came back sharp from their periods of international training and matches, Jerry Bengtson wasn’t much of a factor. The Revs striker (and Honduran international) needs to score for Jay Heaps’ team to make progress this year.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:42 AM EDT
After Oliver Giroud’s bad injury, will Arsenal spend big to bring in Cavani?
Aug 27, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Have your say on where van Gaal’s side will finish this campaign.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Eagles swoop to hand former boss his second stint in charge at Selhurst Park.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Milan want Torres on season-long loan deal. Will the Spaniard move on?
Aug 27, 2014, 7:18 AM EDT
Experienced lower league manager set for second stint in charge of Palace.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 AM EDT
Red Bulls win their full tournament debut, while Club Améric takes a valuable point on the road.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The rankings have had a big four — LA, RSL, Seattle, and Sporting. That group makes way for two new teams at the top of the PRs.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Three-time Champions League winner adds depth to Roberto Martínez’s attack.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
United boss asks fans to withhold judgment on his team’s disappointing start.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Red Devils hit a new low, with three other Premier League clubs bowing out in the competition’s second round.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
BATE Borisov and APOEL Nicosía are also into the group stage, with the five final spots to be decided tomorrow.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
U.S. Soccer is doing right by its biggest icon. Donovan will be called up for the Oct. 10 game in Connecticut.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
For the second time in seven weeks, Thierry Henry takes home our weekly honor.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Why the Jones to New England move would’ve been a whole lot better with a little more transparency. Or a lot more transparency, if you like.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
New England got a whole lot better on Tuesday, and the Revs new Designated Player will immediately cause opposition problems in MLS.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Angel Di Maria has cost Manchester United a British transfer record of more than $98 million from Real Madrid.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
There’s still time to join up for a year of Fantasy Premier League fun via Yahoo’s free game, but don’t wait too much longer: the points are getting racked up!
Aug 26, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Both Kostas Manolas and Mehdi Benatia have been pegged for the Premier League all summer, but the former will head to Roma to take the Bayern-bound latter’s spot.
Aug 26, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Tuesday and Wednesday bring 10 second legs for 20 clubs hopeful of the group stage windfall and another step toward glory.
Aug 26, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Real Madrid goes to extremes, with only a touch of pink dotting their UEFA Champions League gear.
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 1
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 9
- Landon Donovan will get U.S. farewell, to be called up to face Ecuador 8