Feb 14, 2013, 8:14 AM EDT
TUCSON, Ariz. – Eddie Johnson and Brad Evans scored in their first preseason appearances with Seattle as the Sounders ran the show against New England in the desert.
Both teams field something that looked like their first-choice lineups in the opener of the Desert Diamond Cup.
Here is some of what we learned:
- Johnson scored a peach of a goal, working his way free on the left side, cruising into the penalty area and curling a ball into the upper corner. In all honesty, the collecting defending wasn’t very sharp, and an MLS starting forward – not to mention a U.S. international – needs to hit that shot when provided so much room. Still, it was pretty.
- New England midfielder Juan Toja was on the field for about 20 minutes, his first appearance on the preseason, having been slowed by injury. That’s the thing with Toja: it’s not a matter of talent, it’s a matter of keeping healthy enough to bit familiarity and fitness. Plus the issue of keeping a high salary when the New England midfield is fairly well stocked. So, we’ll see.
- These preseason games get overly combative more often than you would think. It is, after all, only preseason. Osvaldo Alonso’s bad tackle on New England left back Chris Tierney summoned up the first little push-and-shove fest. Later, Sainey Nyassi slid dangerously into March Burch, eliciting a little retaliatory slap from the Sounders defender. Both players were ejected.
- Hopefully the ankle injury to Tierney isn’t significant. He was playing quite well, making Mauro Rosales really work and providing a good push from his left back spot. New England officials say Tierney has had an excellent preseason so far.
- Best player in Revolution camp? Scott Caldwell is making a heck of a case. The 21-year-old Revolution academy product was slightly more defensive in the midfield set-up Wednesday, but is naturally a two-way central midfielder.
- Unlike Evans and Johnson, who came back sharp from their periods of international training and matches, Jerry Bengtson wasn’t much of a factor. The Revs striker (and Honduran international) needs to score for Jay Heaps’ team to make progress this year.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Aston Villa, Manchester United and Manchester City all cruised, while Spurs had to find a late winner after coughing up a two-goal lead.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
What about the Premier League? Bundesliga? Serie A?
Jul 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Goran Milanovic is hoping the former American prodigy chooses to revitalize his career with FK Jagodina in the Serbian top flight.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the best stories is United States men’s soccer history is about to move past the “playing career” chapter.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
How big of a deal is the Chelsea legend signing for New York City FC? It’s up there.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
Lampard: “I want to test myself, carry on challenging myself, I want to be that leader and that person on and off the pitch that can make things happen for this club.”
Jul 24, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
The 36-year-old becomes New York City FC’s fourth player.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
The Manchester United boss proves that even Premier League training sessions sometimes echo your experiences on a youth travel team.
Jul 24, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Reds striker spends some time with the NBCSN broadcast crew during Liverpool and AS Roma’s ‘Football at Fenway’
Jul 24, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The Ecuadorian star winger, 24, joins Gylfi Sigurdsson and Bafetimbi Gomis as players to beef up Garry Monk’s attack
Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center
Jul 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Well, this sounds nice…
Jul 24, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
The growing mess in Israel carried over onto the soccer fields of Austria, where Maccabi Haifa played a preseason friendly against Lille.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Almost 90,000 fans in Los Angeles watched Manchester United put an old-fashioned punking on their hosts. And then both sides reacted.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Surely one of these clubs enjoyed the sweeter side of this deal and here we set out to see who it was.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Despite starting only 12 Premier League matches last year, James Milner has decided to remain at Manchester City and fight for his place.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Catch the San Jose Earthquakes and Chicago Fire live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra tonight at 10:30pm ET.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
In a relaxed match featuring over forty players, the difference came in the 89th minute as Marco Borriello knocked home a corner.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Rijeka have come forward to say they “clearly and unequivocally reject” City’s allegation of racism.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Beasley signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Dynamo and becomes the club’s third Designated Player.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
Catch Liverpool and AS Roma live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra tonight at 7:00pm ET.
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 0
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 3
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 6
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 21
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0