Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
TUCSON, Ariz. – I plan to visit the New England Revolution practice a little later this morning, where I can get an update on Chris Tierney, whose outstanding preseason is now in jeopardy due to Osvaldo Alonso’s bad tackle in Wednesday’s match in the desert.
Initial reports were of an ankle sprain, according to New England officials.
Either way, Revolution coach was not pleased. Not initially – when he marched down to check on his player and then refused the fourth official’s consoling gesture along the of the third official along the sideline – and not afterward. Commenting on the physical nature of Wednesday’s match to RevolutionSoccer.net, here’s what Heaps said.
One of the plays where Chris got hurt is not needed in any game, never mind preseason, professional soccer or Under-12. It’s just a bad play.”
He’s got a point. Alonso lunged with his cleats exposed as Tierney attempted to cross from the left side.
Here’s the interview with Heaps and Revolution players after last night’s contest:
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 4
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 5
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3