Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
TUCSON, Ariz. – I plan to visit the New England Revolution practice a little later this morning, where I can get an update on Chris Tierney, whose outstanding preseason is now in jeopardy due to Osvaldo Alonso’s bad tackle in Wednesday’s match in the desert.
Initial reports were of an ankle sprain, according to New England officials.
Either way, Revolution coach was not pleased. Not initially – when he marched down to check on his player and then refused the fourth official’s consoling gesture along the of the third official along the sideline – and not afterward. Commenting on the physical nature of Wednesday’s match to RevolutionSoccer.net, here’s what Heaps said.
One of the plays where Chris got hurt is not needed in any game, never mind preseason, professional soccer or Under-12. It’s just a bad play.”
He’s got a point. Alonso lunged with his cleats exposed as Tierney attempted to cross from the left side.
Here’s the interview with Heaps and Revolution players after last night’s contest:
- Men in Blazers podcast: Talking FA Cup upsets with guests Andy Lanning, Josh Scobee 0
- Diego Costa could get retrospective ban, miss Chelsea’s clash vs. Manchester City 0
- Gareth Bale dismisses Manchester United speculation, happy at Real Madrid 2
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has become Premier League villain No. 1 4
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic ensures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 7