Revolution coach Jay Heaps complains about injurious incident

Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT

Seattle Sounders v New England Revolution – FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Getty Images

TUCSON, Ariz. – I plan to visit the New England Revolution practice a little later this morning, where I can get an update on Chris Tierney, whose outstanding preseason is now in jeopardy due to Osvaldo Alonso’s bad tackle in Wednesday’s match in the desert.

Initial reports were of an ankle sprain, according to New England officials.

Either way, Revolution coach was not pleased. Not initially – when he marched down to check on his player and then refused the fourth official’s consoling gesture along the of the third official along the sideline – and not afterward. Commenting on the physical nature of Wednesday’s match to RevolutionSoccer.net, here’s what Heaps said.

One of the plays where Chris got hurt is not needed in any game, never mind preseason, professional soccer or Under-12. It’s just a bad play.”

He’s got a point. Alonso lunged with his cleats exposed as Tierney attempted to cross from the left side.

(MORE: What we learned about New England and Seattle on Wednesday)

Here’s the interview with Heaps and Revolution players after last night’s contest:

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Osvaldo Alonso made a reckless, terrible challenge and should face retroactive discipline. The referee did an absolutely abominable job policing that match, and should also be fined / suspended.

2. digbysellers - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

You’ve been waiting awhile to use “abominable” in a comment haven’t you? C’mon…haaaaven’t you?

• charliej11 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I wouldn’t have the guts to try to spell it.

I have watched about 125 games where OA has played. He plays as hard and agressive, without being dirty as anyone in soccer. This is definitely an abhorition ( I think I spelled it right…probably not though ).

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I just felt like I had to up the ante after reckless and terrible. ;)

I’m not in position to judge him as a player – but I found a clip with a good angle of the tackle. Really poor, super dangerous. Truly idiotic, especially in a preseason match.

• boscoesworld - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

It’s abberation but close! :)

3. sluggo271 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

What a difference a day makes! From Champions league to bush league. Unwatchable…..

• charliej11 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Champions League starts on March 6th. Just go way.

4. pensfan603 - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Im a revs fan, he is overreacting its preseason olonso wasnt thinking and he made a bad tackle get over it.
    On a side note, i thnik tierney is wicked overrated so..

Official: Welbeck signs for Arsenal