Feb 15, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
ESPN analyst Robbie Earle is saying very nice things about Brek Shea, who was impressive in his reserve team debut and lining up nicely to get some first-team action as early as next week.
Earle, the former English league veteran and Jamaican international, watched plenty of Shea’s games during his TV work for NBC and for the Portland Timbers’ local broadcasts.
So it deserves mention when Earle begins dropping some flattering comparisons to none other than Gareth Bale. Bale is having a fabulous season at Tottenham, finding another level and now being talked about as potential Premier League Player of the Year and a top transfer target in this summer’s market.
What Earle said in his column for the local Staffordshire newspaper:
In fact he reminds me of what Gareth Bale was like a couple of years ago. … I am not saying Shea is as good as £50m-rated [$77 million] Bale, but let’s not forget the Spurs man also took time to adjust to the Premier League.
“Like Bale, Shea is a great athlete and a strong runner down the left. He can smash the ball with that left foot of his or clip in a cross. He lost his way a little bit at Dallas, but has bags of ability …”
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 1
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 1
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 1
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 26