Former U.S. international Robbie Rogers retires and comes out as gay

Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EST

Houston Dynamo v Columbus Crew Getty Images

Former U.S. national team winger Robbie Rogers rocked the domestic soccer world Friday with a post on his personal blog, and then with a Twitter message that reverberated (and will continue to do so) at so very many angles.

He’s retiring at age 25.

And he’s gay.

Last year, former MLS player David Testo came out as gay, but that was well after the conclusion of his playing days. Rogers’ revelation will land with greater impact because of his prominence in U.S. soccer over the last few years. He has 18 full national team appearances and recently engineered a high-profile transfer to one of England’s storied clubs, Leeds United.

An earnest and heartfelt post on Rogers’ personal blog provided the details from a talented player who has clearly struggled with this. The post was titled “The Next Chapter.”

Things are never what they seem… My whole life I have felt different, different from my peers, even different from my family. In today’s society being different makes you brave.  To overcome your fears you must be strong and have faith in your purpose.

“For the past 25 year I have been afraid, afraid to show whom I really was because of fear. Fear that judgment and rejection would hold me back from my dreams and aspirations.   Fear that my loved ones would be farthest from me if they knew my secret.  Fear that my secret would get in the way of my dreams.

“…Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple.   Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.

“I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined… I will always be thankful for my career. I will remember Beijing, The MLS Cup, and most of all my teammates.  I will never forget the friends I have made a long the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.”

Rogers alerted the world to the news with a Twitter post (below). The revealing Tweet poignantly followed one from two hours earlier.

(MORE: American soccer community voices overwhelming, inspiring support)

Rogers struggled to gain a toehold at Leeds over the last year, damaging his ability to do so with an injury straight away following his move from the Columbus Crew in Major League Soccer. He was loaned out to Stevenage in England’s third tier but failed to last. He seemed to be tumbling out of the game when Leeds announced earlier this month that his contract would be terminated by mutual consent.

(MORE: Great insight into Rogers’ weighty decision)

Rogers has been without a team over the last month; Columbus recently traded his MLS rights to Chicago, although he never indicated interest in returning to Major League Soccer.

This does, perhaps, shed some light on why such a talented figure was having such professional difficulty, having lost traction on his playing career.

I happened to be standing next to an MLS general manager when we heard the news. He said he perfectly: “You hope he can find some peace with it all.”

(The screen grab below does not include a “live” link; you can find that link to his blog post above)

source:

Latest Posts
  1. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

2. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

3. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

4. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

5. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

6. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

7. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

8. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

9. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

10. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

11. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

12. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

13. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

14. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

15. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

16. Paul Mitchell named Tottenham’s new head of recruitment

Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

Paul Mitchell

The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday