Former U.S. international Robbie Rogers retires and comes out as gay

Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT

Houston Dynamo v Columbus Crew Getty Images

Former U.S. national team winger Robbie Rogers rocked the domestic soccer world Friday with a post on his personal blog, and then with a Twitter message that reverberated (and will continue to do so) at so very many angles.

He’s retiring at age 25.

And he’s gay.

Last year, former MLS player David Testo came out as gay, but that was well after the conclusion of his playing days. Rogers’ revelation will land with greater impact because of his prominence in U.S. soccer over the last few years. He has 18 full national team appearances and recently engineered a high-profile transfer to one of England’s storied clubs, Leeds United.

An earnest and heartfelt post on Rogers’ personal blog provided the details from a talented player who has clearly struggled with this. The post was titled “The Next Chapter.”

Things are never what they seem… My whole life I have felt different, different from my peers, even different from my family. In today’s society being different makes you brave.  To overcome your fears you must be strong and have faith in your purpose.

“For the past 25 year I have been afraid, afraid to show whom I really was because of fear. Fear that judgment and rejection would hold me back from my dreams and aspirations.   Fear that my loved ones would be farthest from me if they knew my secret.  Fear that my secret would get in the way of my dreams.

“…Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple.   Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.

“I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined… I will always be thankful for my career. I will remember Beijing, The MLS Cup, and most of all my teammates.  I will never forget the friends I have made a long the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.”

Rogers alerted the world to the news with a Twitter post (below). The revealing Tweet poignantly followed one from two hours earlier.

(MORE: American soccer community voices overwhelming, inspiring support)

Rogers struggled to gain a toehold at Leeds over the last year, damaging his ability to do so with an injury straight away following his move from the Columbus Crew in Major League Soccer. He was loaned out to Stevenage in England’s third tier but failed to last. He seemed to be tumbling out of the game when Leeds announced earlier this month that his contract would be terminated by mutual consent.

(MORE: Great insight into Rogers’ weighty decision)

Rogers has been without a team over the last month; Columbus recently traded his MLS rights to Chicago, although he never indicated interest in returning to Major League Soccer.

This does, perhaps, shed some light on why such a talented figure was having such professional difficulty, having lost traction on his playing career.

I happened to be standing next to an MLS general manager when we heard the news. He said he perfectly: “You hope he can find some peace with it all.”

(The screen grab below does not include a “live” link; you can find that link to his blog post above)

source:

Latest Posts
  1. USMNT player ratings: Johnson, Bradley, Dempsey diamonds in a rough, ugly win

Jul 8, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT

Team USA's Clint Dempsey (R) tries to get a loose ball from Honduras' Bryan Acosta (6) during the first half of a CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer match on Tuesday, July 7, 2015, at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. (Steve Nurenberg/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS via Getty Images) Getty Images

We highly doubt any U.S. fans were impressed by more than 2-3 players in Tuesday’s Gold Cup opener, and that’s okay.

2. 2015 Gold Cup: Three things we learned from the USA’s 2-1 victory over Honduras

Jul 7, 2015, 11:41 PM EDT

FRISCO, TX - JULY 07:  Clint Dempsey #8 of USA celebrates after scoring against Honduras during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A match between USA and Honduras at Toyota Stadium on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

From Alvarado to Zardes with Najar in between, Andy Edwards tells you what he saw in Frisco.

3. USMNT 2-1 Honduras: Dempsey brace enough for sloppy Yanks

Jul 7, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

FRISCO, TX - JULY 07:  Clint Dempsey #8 of USA scores against Honduras during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A match between USA and Honduras at Toyota Stadium on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Next up in Group A is a Friday doubleheader in Foxborough, with Panama and Honduras opening the evening for the U.S. and Haiti.

4. From London to Lisbon: Costa Rica’s Bryan Ruiz has a new club

Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

CANTON DE BELEN, COSTA RICA - JUNE 01:  Bryan Ruiz of Costa Rica holds the ball during Costa Rica training session ahead the beginning of Gold Cup 2015 at FEDEFUTBOL-Plycem Training Centre on June 01, 2015 in Canton de Belen, Costa Rica. (Photo by Arnoldo Robert/LatinContent/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ruiz will join a potent attack with Islam Slimani and Fredy Montero.

5. LOGO: Atlanta United unveils logo, makes name official at Tuesday event

Jul 7, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT

Atlanta United

The idea of gold playing a big role is nice, although only the red separate this look from the Philadelphia Union.

6. Panama 1-1 Haiti: Nazon’s dizzying move helps Les Grenadiers to surprising draw (video)

Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT

FRISCO, TX - JULY 07:  Blas Perez #7 of Panama controls the ball against Jerome Mechack #3 of Haiti during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A match between Panama and Haiti at Toyota Stadium on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Duckens Moses Nazon, take a bow: Your 86th minute goal helped start the 2015 Gold Cup in style.

7. FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT begins Gold Cup defense versus Honduras (Lineups)

Jul 7, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT

@USSoccer @USSoccer

Michael Bradley assumes the captain’s armband from Clint Dempsey and will earn cap No. 100 for his career in the Gold Cup.

8. CONCACAF ends corporate partnership with FIFA scandal-embattled Traffic Sports USA

Jul 7, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT

concacaf

It’s certainly one of those press releases that makes you think, “Well, I had just assumed that happened, but thanks for confirming.”

9. WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House

Jul 7, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT

Obama USWNT

All this on the heels of the USWNT announced as the first female team to received a ticker tape parade down New York City’s Canyon of Heroes.

10. Galaxy’s Gerrard meets the media: “Very impressed with the standard” of MLS

Jul 7, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

CARSON, CA - JULY 7: New Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Steven Gerrard #8 poses with his jersey after a news conference on July 7, 2015 at StubHub Center in Carson, California. The former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is scheduled to play his first MLS match on Friday, July 17 at StubHub Center against San Jose Earthquakes. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images) Getty Images

You get the feeling it’s impossible not to be motivated when Steven Gerrard is your teammate. Now toss in Robbie Keane.

11. USWNT to become first females in 55 years to get ticker tape parade down NYC’s Canyon of Heroes

Jul 7, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT

USA v Germany: Semi Final - FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 USA v Germany: Semi Final - FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

The last female to receive a ticker tape parade down that route was 1960 Olympic figure skating gold medalist Carol Heiss Jenkins.

12. Three reasons Canada could surprise Group B (and beyond) at Gold Cup

Jul 7, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT

TORONTO, ON- JUNE 16  -   Tesho Akindele battles for a ball with Chad Bertrand as Team Canada plays Dominica in the second leg of World Cup qualifying   at BMO Field in Toronto.  June 16, 2015.        (Steve Russell/Toronto Star via Getty Images) Getty Images

Their “no-name” defense hasn’t allowed a goal in four matches, and Canada could surprise you this month.

13. United States midfielder Lauren Holiday announces plans to retire with Women’s World Cup title in hand

Jul 7, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT

VANCOUVER, BC - JULY 05:   Lauren Holiday #12 of the United States celebrates as she scores her first goal in the first half against Japan  in the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015 Final at BC Place Stadium on July 5, 2015 in Vancouver, Canada.  (Photo by Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images) Getty Images

Lauren Holiday, 27, scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.

14. Lampard talks club, challenge, Gerrard: “For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was” (video)

Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT

Source: New York City FC Source: New York City FC

“For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was,” Lampard said. “I play football to win.”

15. 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks…

Jul 7, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Championship - 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Getty Images

PST’s staff predict how the Gold Cup will play out as the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica clash to become CONCACAF champs.

16. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Forwards

Jul 7, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT

England v USA: Group C - 2010 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Altidore and Dempsey will lead the attack. But who else is in reserve?

17. Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals?

Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Is he in the top five of superstars to join North America’s top-flight since the DP rule was introduced?

18. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders

Jul 7, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT

Mix Diskerud, USMNT Mix Diskerud, USMNT

Will Yedlin start on the right? Have Bradley and Mix got the center locked down?

19. Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras

Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Michael Bradley, USMNT Getty Images

A man who’ll go down as one of the USMNT’s all-time greats hits 100 caps tonight. A few thoughts on Il Generale.

20. Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1

Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

Honduras v United States Getty Images

Day 1 of the 2015 Gold Cup is here, as the U.S. starts its title defense with a showdown in Texas.

PST Extra: Done deals & transfer gossip