Former U.S. international Robbie Rogers retires and comes out as gay

Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EST

Houston Dynamo v Columbus Crew Getty Images

Former U.S. national team winger Robbie Rogers rocked the domestic soccer world Friday with a post on his personal blog, and then with a Twitter message that reverberated (and will continue to do so) at so very many angles.

He’s retiring at age 25.

And he’s gay.

Last year, former MLS player David Testo came out as gay, but that was well after the conclusion of his playing days. Rogers’ revelation will land with greater impact because of his prominence in U.S. soccer over the last few years. He has 18 full national team appearances and recently engineered a high-profile transfer to one of England’s storied clubs, Leeds United.

An earnest and heartfelt post on Rogers’ personal blog provided the details from a talented player who has clearly struggled with this. The post was titled “The Next Chapter.”

Things are never what they seem… My whole life I have felt different, different from my peers, even different from my family. In today’s society being different makes you brave.  To overcome your fears you must be strong and have faith in your purpose.

“For the past 25 year I have been afraid, afraid to show whom I really was because of fear. Fear that judgment and rejection would hold me back from my dreams and aspirations.   Fear that my loved ones would be farthest from me if they knew my secret.  Fear that my secret would get in the way of my dreams.

“…Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple.   Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.

“I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined… I will always be thankful for my career. I will remember Beijing, The MLS Cup, and most of all my teammates.  I will never forget the friends I have made a long the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.”

Rogers alerted the world to the news with a Twitter post (below). The revealing Tweet poignantly followed one from two hours earlier.

(MORE: American soccer community voices overwhelming, inspiring support)

Rogers struggled to gain a toehold at Leeds over the last year, damaging his ability to do so with an injury straight away following his move from the Columbus Crew in Major League Soccer. He was loaned out to Stevenage in England’s third tier but failed to last. He seemed to be tumbling out of the game when Leeds announced earlier this month that his contract would be terminated by mutual consent.

(MORE: Great insight into Rogers’ weighty decision)

Rogers has been without a team over the last month; Columbus recently traded his MLS rights to Chicago, although he never indicated interest in returning to Major League Soccer.

This does, perhaps, shed some light on why such a talented figure was having such professional difficulty, having lost traction on his playing career.

I happened to be standing next to an MLS general manager when we heard the news. He said he perfectly: “You hope he can find some peace with it all.”

(The screen grab below does not include a “live” link; you can find that link to his blog post above)

source:

Latest Posts
  1. Hope Solo could be left off USWNT’s 2015 World Cup team, says Sunil Gulati

Jan 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EST

Hope Solo, USWNT Hope Solo, USWNT

Hope Solo’s punishment for repeated alcohol-related incidents could extend much further than her initial 30-day suspension.

2. Real Salt Lake’s Joao Plata to undergo surgery on broken foot, miss start of season

Jan 26, 2015, 8:22 PM EST

Joao Plata, Real Salt Lake Joao Plata, Real Salt Lake

3-4 months on the sidelines means a massive hole to fill to start the 2015 season.

3. Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Tunisia, DR Congo draw in group finale, advance to QF

Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Ahmed Akaichi, Tunisia Ahmed Akaichi, Tunisia

After two more places in the knockout rounds were booked on Tuesday, half the quarterfinal matchups are set.

4. Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015?

Jan 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EST

Jurgen Klinsmann, USMNT Jurgen Klinsmann, USMNT

Half the current USMNT roster was built with the Gold Cup in mind, while the other half is about next year’s Olympics. So, who’s who, then?

5. Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution

Jan 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

After eight months without a club, Juan Agudelo is reportedly returning to the place he should have been all along: MLS.

6. VIDEO: Legendary Argentine playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme retires

Jan 26, 2015, 2:59 PM EST

Juan Roman Riquelme Juan Roman Riquelme

As the soccer world will no longer see the maverick skills of the Argentine playmaker, here’s a look at some of his best moments.

7. FA Cup fifth-round draw: Arsenal vs. Middlesbrough, Midlands derby, minnows at home

Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EST

Here’s the draw for the last 16 of the FA Cup, as PL big boys get more tough tests.

8. Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency

Jan 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EST

UEFA Europa League Handover In Amsterdam Getty Images

Van Praag announces his intentions to run against Blatter, says he has the backing of five federations.

9. Drinks on her! Lady wins $24,000 after $3 bet predicted huge FA Cup upsets

Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

Hartlepool United v Blyth Spartans - FA Cup Second Round Getty Images

Betting on five underdogs away from home in the FA Cup will win you serious cash.

10. Diego Fagundez says he was “tired of waiting for the U.S.” after choosing to play for Uruguay

Jan 26, 2015, 12:32 PM EST

FBL-U20-SOUTHAM-URU-COL FBL-U20-SOUTHAM-URU-COL

Fagundez explains why he couldn’t wait any longer to select his national team.

11. Chelsea’s Andre Schurrle rumored to want Wolfsburg move. Should he move on?

Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

Swansea City v Chelsea - Premier League Getty Images

If Wolfsburg can agree a fee for Schurrle, should he leave Stamford Bridge?

12. Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids

Jan 26, 2015, 9:20 AM EST

Official logo of the spanish football team, Real Madrid. Official logo of the spanish football team, Real Madrid.

The signing of two Venezuelan youngsters could put Real in plenty of trouble with FIFA, as Barcelona-esque transfer ban could be on the cards.

13. VIDEO: South Korea beat Iraq to reach first Asian Cup final since 1998

Jan 26, 2015, 8:34 AM EST

FBL-ASIA2015-KOR-IRQ FBL-ASIA2015-KOR-IRQ

The Koreans will face either Australia or the UAE in Saturday’s final in Sydney.

14. City’s Pellegrini concerned at home form after Arsenal, Middlesbrough losses

Jan 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST

Britain Soccer FA Cup AP

“I am concerned, not because of Chelsea but because we didn’t score in our last two home games,” Pellegrini said.

15. Eto’o passes physical at Sampdoria, move from Everton all but official

Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 PM EST

twitter.com/sampdoria twitter.com/sampdoria

The 33-year-old Cameroonian striker joins a Sampdoria side currently tied for third in the table with 34 points.

16. Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham

Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Getty Images

“If he’s not ready for Tuesday then he’ll be back, for sure, against West Ham next weekend,” Rodgers said.

17. Scotland, Wigan mid joins Chicago Fire as third Designated Player

Jan 25, 2015, 9:22 PM EST

twitter.com/chicagofire twitter.com/chicagofire

Maloney turned 32 on Saturday and will be unveiled by Chicago on Monday.

Top five Premier League goals: Week 22