Former U.S. international Robbie Rogers retires and comes out as gay

Feb 15, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT

Houston Dynamo v Columbus Crew Getty Images

Former U.S. national team winger Robbie Rogers rocked the domestic soccer world Friday with a post on his personal blog, and then with a Twitter message that reverberated (and will continue to do so) at so very many angles.

He’s retiring at age 25.

And he’s gay.

Last year, former MLS player David Testo came out as gay, but that was well after the conclusion of his playing days. Rogers’ revelation will land with greater impact because of his prominence in U.S. soccer over the last few years. He has 18 full national team appearances and recently engineered a high-profile transfer to one of England’s storied clubs, Leeds United.

An earnest and heartfelt post on Rogers’ personal blog provided the details from a talented player who has clearly struggled with this. The post was titled “The Next Chapter.”

Things are never what they seem… My whole life I have felt different, different from my peers, even different from my family. In today’s society being different makes you brave.  To overcome your fears you must be strong and have faith in your purpose.

“For the past 25 year I have been afraid, afraid to show whom I really was because of fear. Fear that judgment and rejection would hold me back from my dreams and aspirations.   Fear that my loved ones would be farthest from me if they knew my secret.  Fear that my secret would get in the way of my dreams.

“…Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple.   Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.

“I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity. Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined… I will always be thankful for my career. I will remember Beijing, The MLS Cup, and most of all my teammates.  I will never forget the friends I have made a long the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.”

Rogers alerted the world to the news with a Twitter post (below). The revealing Tweet poignantly followed one from two hours earlier.

(MORE: American soccer community voices overwhelming, inspiring support)

Rogers struggled to gain a toehold at Leeds over the last year, damaging his ability to do so with an injury straight away following his move from the Columbus Crew in Major League Soccer. He was loaned out to Stevenage in England’s third tier but failed to last. He seemed to be tumbling out of the game when Leeds announced earlier this month that his contract would be terminated by mutual consent.

(MORE: Great insight into Rogers’ weighty decision)

Rogers has been without a team over the last month; Columbus recently traded his MLS rights to Chicago, although he never indicated interest in returning to Major League Soccer.

This does, perhaps, shed some light on why such a talented figure was having such professional difficulty, having lost traction on his playing career.

I happened to be standing next to an MLS general manager when we heard the news. He said he perfectly: “You hope he can find some peace with it all.”

(The screen grab below does not include a “live” link; you can find that link to his blog post above)

source:

Latest Posts
  1. MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem

Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.

2. MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids

Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Portland Timbers v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.

3. FA chairman: England “might well bid for” Euro 2028

Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

greg_dyke Getty Images

It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.

4. Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road

Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

seamus_coleman AP

Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.

5. It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

don_garber_mls_logo AP

MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.

6. Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up

Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Manchester United v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.

7. Reactions to “MLS Next” as North America’s top-flight launches rebrand

Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?

8. Arsene Wenger’s biggest regret is missing out on Cristiano Ronaldo

Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Everton v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”

9. Auf Wiedersehen! Felix Magath out as Fulham boss after terrible tenure

Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

STOKE ON TRENT, ENGLAND - MAY 03: Fulham manager Felix Magath reacts as his side are relegated following their defeat in the Barclays Premier League match between Stoke City and Fulham at the Britannia Stadium on May 3, 2014 in Stoke on Trent, England. Getty Images

After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.

10. Brendan Rodgers on Liverpool’s growing pains: “There’s no magic formula”

Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

There's nothing nice about watching your side squander a three goal lead to end up with a draw. Getty Images

Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?

11. Europa League preview: Will Everton, Tottenham reach knockout stages?

Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

tim_howard Getty Images

Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.

12. Taking back time: FIFA says officials must return expensive watches

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Brazil v Germany: Semi Final - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.

13. Arsenal linked with three free agents, as defensive woes continue

Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT

FC Lokomotiv Moscow v FC Zenit St. Petersburg - Premier League Getty Images

Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?

14. Ole Gunnar is gone: Solksjaer out as Cardiff City manager

Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.

15. Chelsea have Diego Costa injury concern

Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04 - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.

16. PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think?

Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT

MLSLogoEdit1

What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?

17. US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners

Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT

Michael Orozco, Mix Diskerud, Matej vydra AP

Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.

18. Fire-ravaged dog home claims Mario Balotelli made sizable donation

Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Balo

A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.

19. PST Extra: Sneak preview of Manchester City v. Chelsea

Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT

MC CH

Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.

20. ‘We Will Speak English': Louis van Gaal’s instruction to Manchester United players

Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT

VanGaal Getty Images

Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea