Feb 15, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Time to repeat our First Rule Of Stadium Development, one that gets a lot of usage around here:
“Alert me when a shovel goes in the ground. Until then … always put me down as ‘reluctantly pessimistic.’ ”
That said, The Washington Post’s Steven Goff says D.C. United officials are inching their way to the facility promised land. In a report today, Goff says the club appears close to dotting and crossing on Buzzard Point.
United and New England are the stadium holdouts. Every other club now has a stadium situation that qualifies as “pretty good” at worst. Most are now leaning closer to “just peachy.”
United has been stuck at decrepit RFK Stadium (pictured). While historic, it’s a huge money drain. Most MLS teams have now positioned themselves to create revenue through various stadium streams. Meanwhile, United remains stuck in the renter zone, still paying to lease the facility and missing opportunity after opportunity to make the stadium work for them in ways most clubs now can.
New capital and some savvy politicking have helped the club finally make the big break through.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014